Rye, VIC - St David's Presbyterian (20514)

Year Built: 1969

Denomination: Presbyterian

Saint: David

Address: Lyons Street, Rye, Victoria, 3941

Last Updated: 09/01/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

Early services were held in the original hall, church and school and may have commenced as early as 1870.*

Construction of the first church was commenced in 1904 and built by Mr William Joseph Croad. The first service on the current site was held in 1901. A wooden church was built in 1904 and replaced by the current one in 1969.*

The Architects for the second Church were Messrs K Murray Foster and Walsh of St Kilda. The Builders were John Madsen and Co.*

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1888 - 1891 Rev W McBride
1891 - 1892 Rev D. S. Maxwell
1892 - 1894 Mr J. M Smith
1894 - 1897 Mr H Erskine
1898 - Rev J. D Robinson
1898 - 1899 Mr H O'Sullivan
1899 - 1900 Mr R J. Pedder
1900 - 1901 Mr R C Hamilton
1901 - 1912 Mr J. T Anderson
1912 - 1919 Mr E.. Thrum
1919 - 1922 Rev J. G. Robinson
1922 - 1925 Rev C. E Hipwell
1925 - 1936 Rev H E Hunt
1937 - 1941 Rev C. S. Petrie
1941 - 1945 Rev W. J. Willis
1945 - 1960 Rev W. J. Holt
1960 - 1968 Rev J A. Finley
1969 - 1979 Rev G Fairservice
1979 - 1984 Rev H Smith
1985 - 2001 Rev R A.K. Boan
2001 - Pastor H Van Der Pols
2006 - 2016 Rev John Brennan
2014 - Rev Keong Huo Lim Asst

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Rye Presbyterian Chruch Celebrating 100 years of Worship on the one site. Rye Historical Society 2004
2. Preskey