Saddleworth, SA - St Aidan's Anglican (30210)

Year Built: 1894

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Aidan

Address: 25 Burra Road, Saddleworth, South Australia, 5413

Last Updated: 15/01/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

Of Gothic revival style this church was built in 1894 and designed by W.K. Mallyon. It cost £800.00 and could seat 150 people. The Foundation stone was laid on 10 April 1894.

Local stone was used in its construction. Kerosene lamps were replaced by wall mounted gas lamps in 1910.

A general meeting of the Church of England Congregations of Saddleworth met 9 August 1890 in the Saddleworth Institute. There were 14 present with Mr Joseph Schoolman in the chair, with the intention of raising funds for a church.

The church has been sold and the current owners purchased the property in 2018.

 

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1883 - 1903 Rev E. K Yeatman
1903 - 1908 Rev Frank Sewell 1873 1917
1908 - 1916 Rev C. F. Hall
1916 - 1918 Rev Henry Hopton Hopton 1881 1959
1918 - 1923 Rev H Giles
1923 - 1926 Rev Harold Woolnough 1887 1966
1927 - 1930 Rev Henry Edward Stafford Dyson 1880 1958
1930 - 1933 Rev H. H. Pearman
1933 - 1936 Rev H. E. Shepherd
1937 - 1943 Rev Walter Benjamin Kenworthy 1892 1948
1944 - 1952 Rev J A.N. James
1953 - 1955 Rev George Richard Mathers 1903 1963
1955 - 1958 Rev W G. Williams
1958 - 1962 Rev P. Mcd Smith
1962 - 1965 Rev S. D. Smith
1965 - 1969 Rev John Siddell 1911 1992
1969 - 1975 Rev L Sutcliffe
1975 - 1981 Rev I. Hardy
1982 - 1993 Rev Ronald Philip Keynes
1993 - Rev P. Linn

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Contributions:

1. Current Owners supplied second photo 2021.

Source:

St Aidan's Saddleworth April 10th 1894 - 1994. SA 283.94232 S133 1994