Sale, VIC - St Paul's Anglican
Year Built: 1884
Architect: Nathaniel Billing
Traditional Owners: Gunaikurnai people
Last Updated: 19/04/2023
History and Architecture:
The Parish came into being in 1854 and was licenced in 1857. In 1904 the Diocese was proclaimed along with the new country dioceses of Bendigo and Wangaratta.
The land for the new St Paul's Church of England was purchased in 1882 for £1,500. The Official opening was on the 5th November 1884. A substantial brick church, designed by prominent architect Nathaniel Billing and built in 1884. Extensions were added in 1907.
The first Church of St. Paul, Sale, was licensed in 1857.
In 1874, the Rev. George Wade Watson was appointed as Incumbent of the Parish. Early in 1875, a desire was expressed to sell the old site, with the view of purchasing one more centrally situated; but, though the consent of the Bishop was obtained, nothing practically resulted.
Plans for a new Church were prepared by Mr. Filling, and it was built by George Wynd with James Swan as clerk of works for the sum of £3389.
The foundation stone for a new church on this site was laid by Bishop Moorhouse on 17th December, 1883, and this second St. Paul's Church, Sale, was opened on 5th November, 1884, with Bishop Moorhouse preaching at both services.
A memorial stone reads, " This memorial stone was laid by the Right Revd J. Doorhouse D.D. Bishop of Melbourne Dec 17th 1883".
For a full histroy see the Church website here.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1854 - 1862||Rev P K Simmons|
|1862 - 1866||Archdeacon THeodore C.B. Stretch||1817||1899|
|1866 - 1872||Rev Thomas Woolcock Serjeant||1824||1907|
|1872 - 1896||Rev George Wade Watson||1838||1915|
|1896 - 1908||Rev H P Scott|
|1908 - 1912||Archdeacon Clifford Harris Nash||1866||1958|
|1912 - 1919||Rev G H. Smith|
|1920 - 1925||Canon D Haultain|
|1925 - 1927||Archdeacon H White|
|1927 - 1935||Canon F. C Thornton|
|1931 - 1932||Rev Alan Walker Sutton||Curate||1903||1970|
|1935 - 1943||Archdeacon J. H. Blundell|
|1943 - 1949||Canon J. T Sansom|
|1945 - 1947||Rev Philip Francis Taylor||Curate||1907||2003|
|1950 - 1973||Dean C. B. Alexander|
|1955 - 1958||Canon Richard Mellon Southey||Honorary||1907||1984|
|1963 - 1970||Rev Philip Francis Taylor||Rural Dean||1907||2003|
|1974 - 1977||Dean Raymond Elver Elliot|
|1978 -||Dean Edward Gibson|
|2016 -||Rev Susanna Pain|
The Organ was built in 1882 by George Fincham for residence of Joseph S. Summers, Windsor where it was used for teaching and practice. Installed in present location in 1884. Restored in 1981 by S.J. Laurie Pty Ltd. It has 2m, 12spst, 3c, tr & elpn. Gt: 220.127.116.11.4.2. Sw: 18.104.22.168.III. Ped: 16.
For a full description and photos click here.
1. Light and Life, A History of the Anglican Church in Gippsland
2. Cable Clerical Index.
3. Church website.
4. Organ Historical Trust of Australia.