Sandy Bay, TAS - St Peter's Anglican
Year Built: 1918
Address: Corner Lord & Grosvenor Streets, Sandy Bay, Tasmania, 7005
Traditional Owners: Palawa people
Last Updated: 23/07/2022
History and Architecture:
Services were first held in a school room and in St Mattias' Church (now a Baptist church). In 1917 the old Mariners Church of 1862 on the wharfwas pulled down. The stone and bricks costing 50 were brough by Mr ans Mrs Edward Pearce and were given for St Peter's which was erected in 1918 in memory of their son Clyde who was killed in action in the 1914 - 1918 War.
The vestry was rebuilt and enalrged in 1970. The Church was consecrated in 1918 and was built by Gillham Brothers. The stone boundary fence was donated by Fred Hopkins in memory of his wife.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1930 - 1937||Rev Rupert Horton Simmons||1887||1953|
|1938 - 1958||Rev H Shepperd|
|1940 - 1942||Rev Lancelot Frederic Benjafield||1902||1985|
|1952 - 1966||Rev F Maling|
|1961 -||Rev Harry Cecil Cutherbertson||1898||1964|
|1964 - 1966||Rev James Alan Friend||Hon C||1923|
|1965 - 1982||Rev Guy Neville Lennard||1913||1982|
|1974 - 1979||Rev John Lovett May||1914||2010|
|1990 - 1997||Rev John De Groot||1948|
|1994 - 1998||Rev W Knott||Asst|
|2020 ? -||Rev Rob Imberger|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. The Anglican Church in Tasmania, A Diocesan history to mark the Sesquicentenary 1992 by Geoffrey Stephens.
2. Cable Clergy Index