Shepparton, VIC - Scot's Uniting
Year Built: 1885
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Architect: Marchant and Wallace
Traditional Owners: Yorta Yorta people
Last Updated: 23/02/2023
History and Architecture:
Formerly a Presbyterian the Church was formed in 1885. However a Reverend Thomson conducted services in the area from 1876. In 1885 a parcel of land was donated by Mr William Fraser and by May 1886 tenders were let to fence the land. By December of the same year it was decided to call tenders to build a church. The Church was partly modelled on the Avenel Church. The Architect were Messrs Marchant and Wallace and was to cost no more than 500.00.*
The first service in the new church was held on 25 March 1888 and conducted by Reverend A. Connan from Benalla. The Sunday School hall foundation stone was laid on 11 August 1902 as the tender for its construction had been let to h Thompson. It cost 575.00.*
On 23 August 1908 the transept was dedicated. It had been built by Mr R. Collins at a cost of about 550.00. Extensions to the church were planned during 1963 and Architect John Murphy was engaged.*
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1885 - 1889||Rev Robinson Johnston|
|1889 -||Rev J. H. Shallberg|
|1895 -||Rev E. Milne|
|1908 -||Rev G. Paul|
|1934 - 1939||Rev G. J. Scarfe|
|1939 - 1941||Rev A. Ross Dean|
|1941 - 1947||Rev D. McKnight Jones|
|1947 - 1953||Rev N. Faichney|
|1953 -||Rev W. Morgan|
The first organ was installed in 1885 under lock so the Baptists could not use it. In 1944 a 2 manual Bell electrical pump organ was installed.
Dedication of Scot Church War Memorial Extensions 1885 - 1965. LTP 285.29454SC