Shepparton, VIC - St Brendan's Catholic (20358)

Year Built: 1876

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Brendan

Address: 121 Knight Street, Shepparton, Victoria, 3630

Last Updated: 03/12/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The very first Mass held in the Shepparton area was held in 1876.*

The first reference to St Brendan's church was made in the Advocate Newspaper of 16 July 1881 when it mentioned the drawing of an Art Union for the St Brendan's Presbytery. The names of the Architect and builder are not known due to a fire that destroyed the records.*

The first Church was opened and dedicated on 25 May 1879 with the Right Reverend Dr Crane assisting Fathers Scanlan and Kennedy with 400 people attending.*

In 1883 it was decided to enlarge the church as the population of Shepparton had grown so large that the church could not hold enough Mass's. Tenders were called on 13 November for the enlargement and plastering of the church. By the following February the new enlarged church was dedicated by Dr Reville O.S.A.*

A fire destroyed the church on 29 January 1900 but by 11 November the same year had been re built. By 1924 further enlargements had been carried out.*

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1880 - 1884 Father Michael Kennedy 1905
1884 - 1887 Father Michael O'Connor
1887 - 1896 Father James McCarthy 1927
1896 - 1908 Very Rev Dean Timothy Murphy
1908 - 1910 Very Rev Dean James Gaffney
1910 - 1937 Right Rev Monsignor Denis Hogan V.G. 1937
1937 - 1946 Right Rev Monsignor Peter Mahoney
1946 - 1949 Very Rev Dean Richard Kelly R.I. 1949
1949 - Right Rev Monsignor Thomas Murphy
1962 - Right Rev Monsignor Anthony Bones V.F.

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

The New Rush, the History of St Brendan's Parish, 1880 - 1980. SLT 282.94541 SH4M