Sorell, TAS - Scot's Uniting (6999)

Year Built: 1842

Denomination: Uniting

Address: 43 Arthur Street, Sorell, Tasmania, 7172

Previous Denomination: Presbyterian

Traditional Owners: Palawa people

Architect: James Blackburn

Last Updated: 23/07/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

Formerly a Presbyterian church this sandstone pure Romanesque styled church was built and completed in 1842. Architect was James Blackburn a convict architect. It has a gabled roof and central tall square tower with semi-circular arch topped entrance.

The foundation stone was laid in 1840 by the Reverend John Lillie of Hobart and was completed in 1842. The land for the new church had been donated by an early settler, Andrew Counsel, and the Church bell was donated by Mr. George Marshall of Noble Farm.

The Church was opened for divine services on 24 April 1842 by Rev John Lillie. The building was completed on 21 July 1841 at a cost of £1,415.

During 1967 the Committee of Management of Lillian Martin Home decided to establish eight housing units for single persons who were aged victims of the bush fires of February 1967. Thes untins were part of the church land. The cost was met from Fire Relief Funds and the Federal Government. The eight units and the Fraser Room were opened on August 6, 1968 by the Moderator-General, the Rt. Reverend Norman Faichney.

The church is now closed according to reports.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1888 - Mr Wilfrid Earle Reader 1862 1944
1895 - 1902 Rev William Augustus Cockerill 1858 1913
1908 - 1913 Rev Cecil Emerson Muschamp 1902 1984
1913 - 1915 Rev Donald Burns Blackwood 1884 1967
1929 - 1934 Rev Magnus James May 1881 1960
1934 - 1937 Rev John Donald Daish 1903 1990
1938 - 1940 Rev Clifford Robinson 1907 1982
1942 - 1948 Rev Edward Woods
1950 - 1956 Rev Charles Edward Soly Mitchell 1889 1984
1961 - 1965 Rev Edward John Dorrell 1897 1975
1965 - 1968 Rev Frederick Ernest Coombes 1912 1996

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1, Scots Church Sorel. LSC P 285.MOR
2. Monissa website, click here for full history.
3. Australian Anglican Directory 2000.