South Geelong, VIC - Uniting
Year Built: 1842
Previous Denomination: Methodist
Traditional Owners: Wadawurrung people
Last Updated: 06/02/2022
History and Architecture:
The first Methodist services in South Geelong were held in 1842 in a private home, and by 1847 had been transferred to a large unclaimed house. In 1854, the first dedicated building was constructed as a church/school at a cost of £1,475. The foundation stone of the brick building was laid on the 14!h June 1854 by the Rev. William Butters. The opening took place on the 29th of October 1854 when divine worship took place in the school for the first time.
A deed of grant was issued in 1861 and extensions to the church/school were undertaken the same year. The congregation outgrew this building once more and in 1868, tenders were called for a bluestone and white Batesford limestone church, which was to be situated on the Moorabool Street frontage of the Reserve.
The foundation stone was laid on the 27th November 1868 by the Rev. M. Burnett, and the church, which eventually cost £1,000 to build, was formally opened on the 27h June 1869. The old church building was used as a Sunday school, however, in 1879, the Sunday School closed. The parsonage was built in 1883. Two transepts were added to the original school house in 1896. In 1965, the spire was lowered and in 1967 the parsonage was demolished. The bricks were used in the Principle's residence at Geelong College, Newtown. In 1977, the spire was replaced and the Church became the South Geelong Uniting Church. The Church was opened on 27 June 1869.
The Church was closed in 2014.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1848 -||Rev F. Tuckfield||M||1808||1865|
|-||Rev F. Lewis||M|
|-||Rev Isaac Harding||M||1815||1897|
|-||Rev W. Hilt||M|
|-||Rev Joseph Dare||M||1831||1880|
|-||Rev William L. Binks||M||1819||1890|
|-||Rev W. P. Wells||M|
|-||Rev James Bickford||M||1816||1895|
|-||Rev John Cope||M||1825||1909|
|-||Rev E. I Watkin||M|
|-||Rev John Eggleston||M||1813||1879|
|-||Rev John G. Millard||M||1827||1897|
|-||Rev Henry Bath||M||1839||1916|
|-||Rev J. C. Macdougall||M|
|-||Rev J. deQ. Robin||M|
|-||Rev Robert Philp||M||1850||1926|
|-||Rev A. McCallum||M|
|-||Rev Jonathan McCann||M||1855||1914|
|-||Rev John Nall||M||1858||1935|
|-||Rev Joseph Nicholson||M||1845||1921|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.