Spring Hill, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1873

Denomination: Methodist

Address: 48 Leichhardt Street, Spring Hill, Queensland, 4000

Previous Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist

Architect: Richard Gailey

Traditional Owners: Turrbal people

Last Updated: 27/02/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The former Leichhardt Street Primitive Methodist Church was constructed in Spring Hill in 1873-74. Spring Hill was one of the first suburbs laid-out in Brisbane after the Moreton Bay Penal Settlement closed and the area opened to free settlers. This modest church building was established to met the rising spiritual needs of the local community and is is the oldest surviving church in Spring Hill.

It was completed in 1874 with walls almost 30 centimetres thick. The Methodist Church disposed of the site on 30 March 1978.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1882 - 1884 Rev Robert T. Allen WM


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.