Springton, SA - St John's Lutheran (30167)
Year Built: 1859
Last Updated: 03/01/2021
History and Architecture:
Originally called Black Springs, Springton requested its first pastor in 1859 after the first arrivals came to the area in 1855. Pastor Hensel from the Blumberg parish was to conduct the first services for the community at a cost of £20.00 and 15 bushels of wheat per year.
George Fife Angus donated four acres of land for a church building and construction of a stone building commenced in 1861.
In 1886 the wooden shingle roof needed replacing.
By 1897 a new church was needed and a site was decided upon on Carl Herbig's property. The successful tender was submitted by the stone mason Gustav Zander and Rohrlach carpenter and painter. The Bell tower was a later addition costing £20.
The foundation stone was laid in 1898 and the church was dedicated on 19 March 1899.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1859 - 1882||Pastor C. A. Hensel||ELSA|
|1882 - 1883||Pastor H Weise||ELSA|
|1883 - 1919||Pastor J H.C. Harms||ELSA|
|1920 - 1951||Pastor E A.H. Graebner||ELSA|
|1951 - 1955||Pastor E. V. Kempe||ELSA|
|1955 - 1971||Pastor R C Schumacher||LCA|
|1971 - 1976||Pastor R. F. Alder||LCA|
|1976 - 1986||Pastor R.J. Kotzur||LCA|
|1986 - 1991||Pastor P A. Zweck||LCA|
|1992 - 1997||Pastor G J. Simmonds||LCA|
|1999 -||Pastor C. W. Scherer||LCA|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
Luthern Church Histroical Society SA