St Kilda, VIC - St Georges Anglican Arts Centre

Year Built: 1877

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: George

Address: 25 Chapel Street, St Kilda, Victoria, 3182

Previous Denomination: Uniting, Presbyterian

Architect: Albert Purchas

Architectural Style: Gothic Polychrome

Traditional Owners: Yalukit Willam people

Last Updated: 20/03/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

One acre of land was reserved in Chapel Street for the Presbyterian Church and was gazetted on 10 September 1866. In June 1876 a public meeting was held in the Orderly Room in Chapel Street, St Kilda East, adjoining the church’s land, to gauge interest in establishing a church. Sunday services began on 13 August 1876 in the Orderly Room with the Reverend Groundwater Fraser preaching.

The foundation stone of the first section, comprising the western section of the nave, was laid by Sir James McCulloch KCMG on 21 April 1877 and the first service held on 1 October 1877. Transepts and the apse were added and the completed building opened on 3 October 1880, this being due to the ‘enthusiasm and liberality’ of McCulloch, a former premier of Victoria.

The Church is now part of St Michael's Grammar School and is called Performing Arts Centre St George's.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1879 - 1884 Rev J. Laurence Rentoul
1884 - Rev John Gordon Mackie


The current Organ was built by T.C. Lewis of London in 1881. Installed in 1882 by George Fincham, Melbourne with 2 manuals, 15 speaking stops, 3 couplers, mechanical action Additions 1908 Frederick Taylor, Melbourne. It was rebuilt & enlarged in 1935 by Frederick Taylor, Melbourne 3 manuals, 19(?) speaking stops, 12 couplers, tubular-pneumatic action Additions 1941, 1947 Hill, Norman & Beard (Aust.) Pty Ltd. The action was electrified in 1998 by Australian Pipe Organs, Melbourne. It has 3 manuals, 23 speaking stops, 12 couplers, electro-pneumatic action.
For a complete description and photos click here.


1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.
2. The Spirit of St Kilda.