St Lucia, QLD - Christ Church Anglican
Year Built: 1962
Traditional Owners: Turrbal people
Last Updated: 23/04/2023
History and Architecture:
The Church was constructed in 1962. The side walls of the church are of a concertina form, blades of brick along the line of the building with short window walls across the line of the building, the glass facing the western front. The window walls are trimmed in light coloured bricks and provide light and ventilation to the interior, as well as accentuating the exterior wall geometry and providing a rich variety of surface texture.
A Foundation stone reads, " To the Greater Glory of God this Foundation stone of Christ Church St Lucia was set and blessed by Reginald Archbishop of Brisbane on the 4th day of March 1962. Rector The Rev A.O. Charles ThL Dip DiV Wardens E.S. Durance R.W.S. Morton".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1956 - 1958||Rev John Rouse||1904||1976|
|1962 -||Rev A. O. Charles|
The Organ was built by Hill, Norman & Beard of Melbourne in 1969. It had 2 manuals, 6 ranks extended & mixture, electric action. Rebuilt and enlarged & removed from west end to east end of church in 1994 by W.J. Simon Pierce, Brisbane. It had 2 manuals, 25 speaking stops (10 ranks extended & mixture), electric action. Removed in 2017.
For a full description and photos click here.
1. Cable Clerical Index
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.
3. Heritage Brisbane.