Stanley, TAS - St James Presbyterian
Year Built: 1855
Traditional Owners: Palawa people
Last Updated: 26/09/2022
History and Architecture:
The Church sits on land granted by the Van Diemen's Land Company. The building was bought in London in 1855 the first pre fabricated church to be brought to Tasmania and transported to Stanley at a total cost of £400. On anniversary days the church would overflow while the hall next door was frequently booked for wedding breakfasts and church fairs.
The Church was opened on 7 October 1855 by the Rev James Garrett, of West Tamar who conducted the dedication service.
The stained glass window facing the entrance to the church depicts St Andrew and was dedicated to Fred Ferguson (a Sunday School teacher) after he died in 1946.
The original section, the naive, with its latticed iron window frames still survives and is believed to be one of the oldest pre fabricated buildings in Australia. The hall next door is a former Wesleyan Methodist church.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1888 -||Rev W. A. Kyde M.A.|
|-||Rev A. J. M'Adam|
|1935 -||Rev A. F. Reynolds|
|1947 -||Rev K Forbes Ewan|
|2020 -||Rev Dean Ollington|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Church historical display at front of church.