Stawell, VIC - St Matthew's Uniting
Year Built: 1869
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Architect: Robert Alexander Love
Traditional Owners: Wotjobaluk, Jaadwa, Jadawadjali & Wergaia people
Last Updated: 08/06/2023
History and Architecture:
A site for the first church was secured for the first Church in what became and still is Church Street, and Henry Henderson No. 2 submitted designs to the committee for the Church. The dimensions of the building were 28-feet x 44-feet, with galvanised iron sides and a shingle roof, and it was capped off with a belfrey.
The current church was originally built as St Matthew's Presbyterian church and was opened on 11 April 1869. The church was built at a cost of £2,000.00 and an anonymous donor donated £1,352.00 for the spire and tower.
The building comprises 40,000 bricks which cost 35 shillings per 1,000 at the time. A tender from Moriarty and Hassell for building the tower £262 for stonework and £150 carpenter's work and fittings) was accepted, and a tender from a Mr Williams' of £200 was also accepted for plastering the tower. Mr Williams' tender at £225 was accepted for building the spire. The cost of the copper ball and cross on top of the spire had also to be included.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1862 - 1868||Rev W Mathew||P|
|1869 - 1891||Rev S. Kelso||P|
|1892 - 1896||Rev E. C. Tennant||P|
|1896 - 1910||Rev G. B. Murphy||P|
|1910 - 1920||Rev H. C. Matthew||P|
|1921 - 1926||Rev P. H. Widmer||P|
|1926 - 1934||Rev G. Patterson Campbell||P|
|1936 - 1941||Rev A. C. Weber||P|
|1941 -||Rev C. S. Petrie||P|
|2010 -||Rev Susan Pearce||U|
The Organ was built by J.E. Dodd in 1920 and dedicated in February 1921. It was rebuilt by Laurie Pipe Organs Pty Ltd in 1979-80. It has 2 manuals, 16 speaking stops, 4 couplers, electro-pneumatic action.
A full description and photos can be seen here.
1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.
2. St Matthews Presbyterian Church Stawell Centenary 1860 - 1960 LTP 285.29458 H347S