Surry Hills, NSW - St Michael's Anglican
Year Built: 1854
Architect: Edmund Blacket
Traditional Owners: Gadigal people
Last Updated: 07/01/2023
History and Architecture:
St Michael’s began in the late 1830s the way all church begin – as a church plant! The first services were held in the Albion Brewery.2 Following this, the church met at a number of other locations including a school-house and the Darlinghurst Courthouse.
The Church was designed by Edmund Blacket in 1854 in the Gothic Revival style. Built of sandstone with a slate roof, it features a belfry, dormers (added in 1888), a fine interior of nave with side aisles, painted ceiling, and dormer lights. The chancel was rebuilt, and vestries added in 1917 by John Burcham Clamp. Originally the church was to seat 450 people, however these plans were later changed due to financial constraints.
The Church was built of sandstone with slate roof with the Belfry and dormers being added in 1888.
The rectory, located next to the church, was designed by John Burcham Clamp in the Edwardian style and was built in 1917.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1881 - 1883||Rev Joseph Campbell||Curate||1856||1933|
|1883 - 1885||Rev Humphrey Fryer||Curate||1853||1912|
|1885 - 1887||Rev Cannon Hulton Smyth King||1819||1897|
|1887 - 1892||Rev Edward David Madgwick||1874||1955|
|1892 - 1910||Rev James Napoleon Manning|
|1893 - 1897||Rev James George Fenton||Curate||1860||1900|
|1907 - 1909||Rev Stephen Harry Denman||Curate||1882||1960|
|1910 - 1911||Rev Charles C. Hughesdon||1868||1942|
|1911 - 1917||Rev Francis Rowling Elder||1855||1931|
|1917 - 1937||Rev Arthur Edward Morris|
|1937 - 1947||Rev Norman Fox||1902||1992|
|1947 - 1954||Rev Reginald Norman Langshaw||1911||2001|
|1954 - 1962||Rev John Addison Dahl||1913||1971|
|1963 - 1969||Rev Captain Roy Buckingham|
|1970 - 1972||Rev Canon William Keith Deasey|
|1972 - 1977||Rev Peter John Hobson|
|1978 - 1986||Rev Ronald Raymond Johson|
|1987 - 1993||Rev David Hugh Crawford|
|1993 - 1999||Rev Roger John Kay|
|1999 - 2000||Rev Ian William Lawton|
|2000 -||Rev Francis Chalwell|
Organ by J.W. Walker, London (1865) job no 824. One manual and pedals with five stops. Originally located side-on in north-west corner. Organ enlarged by W,G, Rendall in 1904. Two manuals and pedals with 15 stops. Organ moved to current north-east chamber. Organ currently unplayable.
A full history of the Organ can be seen here.
1. Pastór de Lasala OAM photos and Organ history.
1. A Task Unfinished St Michael's Surry Hills a Short History
2. Church website.
3. Cable Clerical Index.
4. Australian Heritage Database.