Sydney, NSW - Christ Church St Laurence Anglican
Year Built: 1856
Address: 812 George Street, Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, 2000
Architect: Edmund Blacket
Traditional Owners: Gadigal people
Last Updated: 12/03/2023
History and Architecture:
First service was held by William Grant Broughton in a brewery storeroom in Elizabeth Street, Surry Hills on 28 October 1838.
The foundation stone was laid on 1 January 1840 and the partially completed building was consecrated on 10 September 1845.
Architects included Henry Robinson followed by Edmund Blacket in the period 1844-1880 and John Burcham Clamp in the period 1900-1922.
The ceiling was added and the columns clad in 1864. The stained glass was added gradually in the period 1845-1912 while the marble steps were added to the sanctuary in 1885 and extended in 1929.
1853 saw the arrival of six bells cast by John Taylor & Sons, Loughborough, Leicestershire in 1852.
In 1873 an altar tomb of Bishop John Coleridge Patteson (martyred 1871) fixed in Sanctuary. The monument, now relocated to west end, was designed for CCSL by Blacket. Eight years later alterations to the Sanctuary and creation of chancel (Choir stalls relocated from original position in third bay of nave) was made.
The church was extensively renovated following the fire in 1905. The chancel was added in 1885 and renewed and expanded in 2004.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1839 -||Rev William Horatio Walsh|
|1867 -||Rev George Vidal|
|1878 -||Rev Charles Frederick Garnsey|
|1895 -||Rev Gerard Trower||1860||1928|
|1901 -||Rev Frederick John Albery||1863||1935|
|1911 -||Rev Clive Meillon Statham||1880||1970|
|1926 -||Rev John Hope||1891||1971|
|1964 -||Rev Patrick Austin Day|
|1996 -||Rev Michael Nicholas Roderick Bowie|
|2001 -||Rev Adrian Maxwell Stephens|
|2013 -||Rev Dr Daniel Dries|
The first organ was destroyed by fire in 1905 before the current organ was purchased from the residence of R A Andrews of Leichhardt for £1,000. It had spent the first 15 years of its life in the concert room of Mr Andrew's Leichhardt residence "Frog Hollow".
Hill & Son 1892 (3/26 mechanical and tubular-pneumatic). Continuo organ, Henk Klop 2011 (1/4 mechanical).
For a full description and photos click here.
1. Cable Clerical Index
2. Organ Music Society of Sydney with permission.