Taroona, TAS - Baptist
Year Built: 1953
Address: 124 Channel Highway, Taroona, Tasmania, 7053
Traditional Owners: Palawa people
Last Updated: 22/07/2022
History and Architecture:
The story of the Taroona Baptist Church has its origins in the Sandy Bay Baptist Church, which was founded in 1928 on a site purchased from the Church of England seven years earlier. In 1929 Les and Florie Escott were the earliest recorded baptisms at. Sandy Bay. Four years later they moved to Taroona and in 1936 1-45 Escott began the nondenominational Union Sunday School at the Old Taroona Public Hall on the corner of the Channel Highway and Tkroomi Crescent.
In 1952 the Taroona Baptist Fellowship was formed, with Max Kingdom, who had become the new pastor of Sandy Bay in 1949, as Chairman. Jack Farina) was the Vice-Chairman and Les Escott the Secretary. The church building, which had been designed by J. Bloomer, was constructed in 1953. Most of the building was accomplished by voluntary labour organised by Jack Farmilo. Other builders included Hal Williams, Bill Wheatley, Des Farmilo and Les Escott. The opening service was conducted on the 2nd May 1953 by H.B. West, then President of the Baptist Union of Tasmania.
Towards the end or Bill Penny's ministry the church was extensively renovated and virtually rebuilt, While this was being carried out services were held in the new Throona Community Hall, The church building was re-opened and dedicated on the lOth December 1983.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1953 - 1956||Rev Max Kingdom|
|1957 - 1961||Rev Charles Rodman||1987|
|1961 - 1962||Rev Robbie Robinson||Locum|
|1963 - 1968||Rev Ken Tuck|
|1972 -||Rev Richard Dangerfield||Locum|
|1973 - 1976||Rev Bill Bridge|
|1979 -||Rev Bill Penny|
|1984 -||Rev Peter Evans|
|2004 - 2005||Rev Jeffrey McKinnon||Part time|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.