Tongala, VIC - St James Anglican (20367)
Year Built: 1957
Last Updated: 08/11/2021
History and Architecture:
The first church was built in 1913.
During 1882 - 1883 an attempt by the Church of England to establish services in the Tongala area proved unsucessful and so it continued for a time under Rochester then in the 1890's under Tatura and later under Kyabrum. By 1912 services and Sunday school were being held in the Public Hall in Magan Street.
In 1914, Tongala, Koyuga and Wyuna West areas were, created a separate readers district with W.J. Reeve in charge. In 1915, St. Thomas, Wyuna, was added to the parochial district. After the departure of Mr. Reeve, the Rev. F.A. Philby was appointed Deacon in charge and following his priesting, celebrated his first communion service on December 17, 1916.
In 1957 tenders were called for a new church building and Mr W Kronk was the successful tenderer with a quote of £7,000. A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone was laid by Ronald Bishop of Bendigo 21st July 1957".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1881 -||Mr John Heiffer Hill||1846||1905|
|1916 - 1919||Rev Frederick Alfred Philbey||1886||1947|
|1919 - 1920||Rev William Thomas Reeve||Curate||1889||1948|
|1920 - 1924||Rev David Herman Rettick||Lay Reader||1894||1961|
|1924 - 1927||Rev Sydney James Muxworthy||Curate||1898||1996|
|1926 - 1929||Rev Henry Whiteman||Deacon then Priest in 1927||1893||1981|
|1929 -||Mr Maurice Fernley Green||Lay Reader||1897||1992|
|1931 - 1935||Rev Ernest George Laverick||1890||1943|
|1934 - 1936||Rev Edward Wolstenholme||1867||1952|
|1936 - 1938||Rev William George Vizard||1880||1983|
|1938 - 1940||Rev Edward Ernest Saville||1911||1988|
|1939 - 1940||Rev Home|
|1940 - 1944||Rev George Eliot Roper||Locum||1883||1947|
|1944 - 1945||Rev Bill Nellor|
|1945 - 1946||Rev William Beaumont Hay||1906||1960|
|1946 - 1953||Rev James Leslie Rogers||1882||1978|
|1952 - 1956||Rev Eric Jack Nixon||1904||1976|
|1957 -||Rev Alex McKenzie|
|1962 - 1969||Rev Garnet Donald Prince|
|1969 - 1975||Rev Peter Daryl Kissick|
|1980 - 1985||Rev Donald Haslem Edgar||1938|
|2010 -||Rev Elaine Ryan|
|1999 -||Rev Mark Andrew Pearce|
An old foot pumped Organ or harmonium had been in service as far as is known since the first church was built in 1913. In 1961 Mr Jim Barnes donated a new Lowry electronic Organ.
1. St James Anglican Church Tongala A History 1882 - 1987 LTP 283.9454 ST1038p.
2. Cable Clergy Index.