Toowoomba, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic
Year Built: 1863
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Architect: James Marks
Traditional Owners: Jagera /Giabal/Jarowair people
Last Updated: 22/04/2023
History and Architecture:
The first Chruch was erected in 1863 under the guidance of the first Parish Priest, Father Fulgentius Hodebourg. This small wooden Church-school soon became too small for the ever growing congregation and was expanded in 1880, only to be burnt down the day after completion.
Historically significant as the Mother Church of the diocese and for its role in the development of the Catholic Church in Australia. The 1930s extension of the Church is symbolic of the status of the diocese in this development. Saint Patrick's is also of historic interest as work of the prominent Toowoomba architect James Mark. The Cathedral is architecturally significant as a fine example of a Neo Gothic Church building.
The Cathedral, which is a fine example of Neo Gothic, measures 192ft in length, while the new transepts are 100ft across. The sanctuary, which is perhaps the most outstanding feature of St Patrick's, measures 30ft by 50ft. In 1972, the then administrator Reverend Father Patrick Doyle.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|Father Fulgentius Hodebourg
|Father William Bryne
|Father Joseph Francis Callaghan
The Organ was built by Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane in 1935. It was restored & removed from rear gallery to transept in 1973-74 by Walter Emerson of Toowoomba. It has 2 manuals, 7 ranks extended, electro-pneumatic action. Restored in 2020 by Pierce Pipe Organs of Brisbane. The Organ was donated to the Church by Mrs Patrick Gaven in 1935
For a full description and photos click here.
1. John Huth for the photos 2018
1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.