Turramurra, NSW - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1941

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: James

Address: 15 King Street, Turramurra, New South Wales, 2074

Architect: Adam, Wright, and Apperly

Architectural Style: Gothic

Traditional Owners: Tarramerragal people

Last Updated: 19/03/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

The church was designed in English Gothic style by the architects Adam, Wright, and Apperly of Sydney, was opened on Saturday 27 September 1941. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by The Most Rev H.W.K. Nowll D.D. Archbishop of Sydney 8th March 1941 R. L. Cameron Rector".


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1911 - 1914 Rev Ronald John Cameron Curate 1869 1949
1927 - 1927 Rev Edward Charles Knox Locum 1867 1940
1949 - 1961 Rev George Thorold Earp 1905 1970
1956 - 1957 Rev Nigel A'Beckett Backhouse Curate 1888 1966
1957 - Rev Harry Norman Powys Asst 1890 1969
1961 - Rev Frederick Hugh Hordern Curate 1889 1975
1984 - Rev John Roderic Lindsay Johnstone Locum 1914 2003
2023 - Rev David Smith


The first Organ was built by Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane in 1941. Additions (undated) by S.T. Noad & Son, Sydney. 2 manuals, 14 speaking stops, tubular-pneumatic action. The present Organ was built by Anthony Welby, of Sydney in 1976, incorporating some stops from the Whitehouse Organ. It has 2 manuals, 21 speaking stops, mechanical action.
For a complete history and photos click here.



1. Cable Clerical Index with permission.
2. Organ Music Society of Sydney with permission.