Vaucluse, NSW - St Michael's Anglican

Year Built: 1877

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Michael

Address: Cnr Gilliver and Vaucluse Road, Vaucluse, New South Wales, 2030

Architect: Edmund Blacket

Traditional Owners: Birrabirragal people

Last Updated: 15/03/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by The Most Rev HWK Mowll DD Archbishop of Sydney to commemorate the Enlargement of this Church 7th August 1937". A wall plaque reads, " To the Glory of God the spire of this Church replaces one which was used by Airmen as a navigational aid during World War 11 and is erected in their memory. Dedicated by The Rt Rev F.O. Hulme Moir ThL April 27th 1969 Rector H.W. Guinness".

Finish is rusticated coursed random sandstone with smooth dressed quoins, door and window surrounds, parapets and buttressing and internal wall finishes.

The Architect for the additions to the Church in 1937 was Leslie Wilkinson.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1889 - 1906 Rev George Edward Carter Stiles Curate with Rose Bay, Watsons Bay, Woollahra 1835 1919
1906 - 1909 Rev Arthur Hammerton Champion Rector with Watsons Bay
1912 - 1926 Rev Gerard Addington D'Arcy Irvine Rector with Rose Bay 1862 1932
1915 - 1919 Rev Henry John Gillet Wiltson Curate with Rose Bay 1872 1957
1918 - 1920 Rev Frederick Hugh Hordern Curate with Rose Bay 1889 1975
1920 - 1920 Rev Nathan Middleton Lloyd Curate 1861 1937
1927 - 1938 Rev Horace William Alexander Barder 1888 1949
1937 - 1940 Rev Keith Gilbert Aubrey Honorary Curate with Rose Bay
1938 - 1957 Rev Harry Norman Powts Rector with Rose Bay 1890 1969
1940 - 1941 Rev Boyce Rowley Horsley Curate with Rose Bay 1911 2001
1949 - 1949 Rev William Thomas Price Locum 1875 1962
1965 - Rev Charles Thomas Kenderdine Locum 1896 1971


The Organ was built by Charles Richardson in 1914, and rebuilt by S T Noad & Son in 1961, then again by Arthur Jones in 1972, and finally Brown & Arkley 1984 in (2/29 electro-pneumatic).
For a complete description and photos click here.



1. Organ Society of Sydney with permission.
2. Cable Clerical Index with permission.