Violet Town, VIC - St Dunstan's Anglican
Year Built: 1879
Traditional Owners: Yorta Yorta people
Last Updated: 18/07/2023
History and Architecture:
The Church was built in 1879, but prior to this, services of the various denominations were held in several places. Among these were the school house, the courthouse and a building known as Mrs. Underwood's Hall. Also a room in one of the hotels was used at times. Mrs. Underwood's Hall probably adjoined the Ellen Frances Hotel, as at one time the. Underwood family owned that hotel but under a different name.
The foundation stone was laid by Archdeacon Tucker on 12th February 1879. He and the Rev. F. L. Wilson addressed a gathering at a concert that evening. The trowel which was used at the ceremony is in possession of the church. It was presented to the church some years ago by Mr. Harold Turner whose family had had possession of it for many years. At the laying of the foundation stone it was decided that the new church should be called St. Dunstan's.
A full time Parish Priest lives in Euroa and travels to Violet Town and Longwood – just as has happened through much of the history of the Parish.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1878 - 1892||Rev Francis Lawson Wilson|
|1892 - 1896||Rev Willam Handcock|
|1896 - 1900||Rev Frederick William Wray C.M.G||1864||1943|
|1902 - 1904||Rev A. Law|
|1904 - 1908||Rev Albert Arthur Wiltshire||1865||1908|
|1906 - 1909||Rev Russell Frederick Tacon||1879||1950|
|1909 - 1913||Rev R. A. Scott|
|1913 - 1914||Rev Thomas Tinniswood||1868||1948|
|1914 - 1916||Rev Donald Alexander McEachern||1872||1943|
|1916 - 1918||Rev W. A. Williams|
|1918 - 1927||Rev Henry Morris Warry||1858||1927|
|1927 - 1929||Rev Edward Henry Pickford||1888||1975|
|1929 - 1931||Rev William Vernon Rymer|
|1931 - 1935||Rev Charles George Lavender|
|1935 - 1939||Rev Esmond Aylmer Leaver||1904||1991|
|1939 -||Rev Cuthbert Tremayne Rodda||1879||1963|
|1946 -||Rev R. B. Davison|
|1949 - 1954||Rev Godfrey Gilbert|
|1957 - 1958||Rev Ernest Roy Walkerden||1926|
|1958 - 1962||Rev John Badams Goodman||1928|
|1962 - 1965||Rev Leonard Herbert Jeffrey||1911||1987|
|1969 - 1971||Rev James William Reeves|
|1972 - 1977||Rev Malcolm Leonard Crawley|
|1977 -||Rev Reginald Keith Edwards|
|1989 - 1993||Rev Warren Charles Graco||1924|
|1993 - 1994||Rev Brett George Williams||PiC||1965|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Saint Dunstans Church Violet Town, A Short History Murley Crocker
2. Black and White photo out of copyright. State Library of Victoria. Citation. Godden, H. (1907). St. Dunstan's, [Church of England] Violet Town [picture].