Wagga Wagga, NSW - St John's Evangelist Anglican (10138)

Year Built: 1858

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: John

Address: Church Street, Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, 2650

Last Updated: 04/07/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

Anglican Church services began in Wagga in 1839. In 1855 it became a separate Parish, and in 1858 it was decided to proceed with the construction of the first church. The Church of St John the Evangelist was commenced in 1859 on land granted to the church by the Colonial Government of NSW on Church Hill, a high point on the Murrumbidgee River to the north of Wagga.

Built in the Victorian Academic Gothic style with a Federation Gothic alteration carried out in 1911. The 1858-59 Church was designed by William Weaver and William Kemp two prominent Sydney architects.Weaver was Colonial Architect 1854-56, Kemp was Architect for Public Schools 1880-96.* The foundation stone was laid on 2 June 1859 by the Police Magistrate Henry Baylis. The successful tenderer was Robert Nixon. The church was brick on a stone stereobate, timber shingle roof, with no porch, 60' long 30' wide and housed 300 persons, built on the highest part of the site.

Between 1905-11 extensive alterations were made to the 1875 structure by William i Monks, a Sydney architect, and Charles Hardy & Co., builder.

In 1963 a copper spire replaced the temporary flat roof on the tower, the sanctuary floor was lowered 18 inches, and the communion rail widened, the choir stalls removed to the western end and the altar was brought forward. Pews were replaced with .modern furniture and a new vestry block added on the north east corner.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1858 - 1862 Rector Richard W Young
1862 - 1867 Rector Samuel Fox
1867 - 1871 Rector Samuel Sheridan Harpur 1810 1874
1871 - 1895 Rector William Henry Pownall 1834 1903
1895 - 1902 Rector George Albert Carver 1862 1930
1902 - 1906 Rector Albert Cornelius Mosley 1854 1938
1906 - 1907 Rector R M Turnball
1907 - Rector W.F. Wentworth Shields
1907 - 1913 Rector George Albert Carver 1862 1930
1913 - 1914 Rev George Eric Menlove 1880 1960
1914 - 1928 Rev J Pike
1928 - 1953 Rev S J. West
1953 - 1960 Rev R. E. Davies
1954 - 1956 Canon John Frederick Hannon 1927
1956 - 1960 Rev Peter Frederick Rudge Asst C
1960 - 1961 Rev R. G. Arthur
1960 - 1961 Rev Warren Ernest Hall Asst C 1922
1961 - Rev Russell Henry Oldmeadow
1961 - Rev George Christopher Garnsey Asst 1936
1962 - Rev K. A. Osborne
1974 - 1976 Rev Robert John Willson Asst C 1939
1978 - 1979 Rev Simon Lee Wooldridge D 1950
1983 - 1985 Rev Denis Paul Robinson Asst P
1984 - 1986 Rev D F Octigan
1987 - 1994 Rev James Shelley Waddell Hon Asst 1928
1988 - 1991 Rev Roy James Salway RD
1993 - 1994 Rev Ian Murray Chaplin 1947
1993 - 1995 Rev Thomas Robert Frame Asst 1962
1996 - Rev Gillian Joan Varcoe Asst C 1950
1999 - Rev Harvey Ray Sloane
1999 - Rev Judith Mary Begent Asst

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Contributions:

1. Graham Lupp. ref re Wagga SMH 29 Nov 1858 tender notice. The sentence The 1858 - 1859*
2. Allison Bowman Night photo 2021.
 

Source:

1. The Goodly Heritage, a History of St John's Church of England Wagga Wagga. Kathleen Higgins SLT 283.944W12H
2. Cable Clerical Index