Wahroonga, NSW - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Denomination: Uniting

Saint: John

Address: 13 Stuart Street, Wahroonga, New South Wales, 2076

Previous Denomination: Presbyterian

Architect: Shedden Adam

Traditional Owners: Kuringgai people

Last Updated: 09/10/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

The first church building on the site was an Amusement Hall purchased for A£1,000 in 1898 which was a brick building capable of holding 150 people. It came with an acre of land. The foundation stone of the new church was laid by the then Governor of NSW, Sir Dudley de Chair in 1929 and the first service held therein on 26 April 1930.

The Church is Heritage List. The group of buildings consist of the church and two halls with ancillary rooms, toilets and connecting passages. These are arranged around a central courtyard with arcading forming the fourth side facing the street. The church is an Inter-war Gothic building with a gable running north–south for the full length of the building. Hipped octagonal transepts project on the eastern and western sides. Entry is from the courtyard at the northern end.

The architect was John Shedden Adam.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1897 - 1918 Rev J. Kemp Bruce P
1918 - 1926 Rev C. E. James P
1027 - 1956 Rev D. J. Flockhart P
1957 - 1969 Rev R. A. Blackwood P
1971 - 1995 Rev A. F. Smart P
1995 - 1997 Rev R. I. Cirotto P
2023 - Rev Dr Manas Ghosh U


The first organ in St John's was an 11 stop tracker instrument built in 1905 by George Fincham & Son. This was sold to the Hurstville Christadelphian Ecclesia. In 1961 its replacement was supplied by Pels & Son of Alkmaar, Holland. (3/29 electro-pneumatic).
For a full description and photos click here.


1. Organ Music Society of Sydney with permission
2. Wikipedia.