Wangaratta, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral
Year Built: 1905
Architect: Walter Butler
Traditional Owners: Yorta Yorta people
Last Updated: 12/05/2023
History and Architecture:
The foundation stone was laid in 1908 by Bishop Arthur Green, the Bishop of Ballarat, and was dedicated on 24 August 1909. A second section was built between 1922 and 1924. The building was faced in locally quarried granite to a design by the English architect Walter Butler. The baptistery, designed by the church architect Louis Williams, was completed in 1965.
The cathedral bells, cast in 1806, are the oldest ring of eight in Australia.
A further memorial stone reads, " This Cathedral Church dedicated in honour of the Most Holy Trinity was consecrated on 26th April 1985 by the Right Reverend Maxwell McNee Thomas Th D. Sixth Bishop of Wangaratta in the presence of the Most Reverend and Right Honourable Robert Alexander Kennedy Runcie P.C. M.C. D.D. 102nd Archbishop of Canterbury and Primate of all England. A.M.D.G.".
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1855 - 1857||Rev Cooper Searle|
|1857 - 1859||Rev Anderson John McCausland||1823||1888|
|1859 - 1869||Rev Caleb Booth|
|1870 - 1876||Rev Joseph Kider Tucker|
|1876 - 1890||Rev Henry John Alexander Poole||1830||1893|
|1890 - 1903||Rev John Kay Hall|
|1902 - 1927||Bishop Thomas Henry Armstrong||1857||1930|
|1903 - 1904||Rev Frederick William Willcox||1859||1905|
|1904 - 1910||Rev Archibald Law|
|1910 - 1919||Rev John Alfred Cue||1877||1960|
|1919 - 1935||Rev Frederick William Wray||1864||1943|
|1927 - 1942||Bishop John Stephen Hart||1866||1952|
|1935 - 1965||Rev Percival Hensby Dicker|
|1940 - 1940||Canon Wilfred Stanley Dau||1895||1969|
|1943 - 1965||Bishop Thomas Makinson Armour|
|1963 - 1964||Rev Charles Henry Helms||Asst C||1929|
|1963 - 1966||Rev Donald Haslem Edgar||P||1938|
|1965 - 1969||Bishop Theodore Bruce McCall||1911||1969|
|1969 - 1975||Bishop Keith Rayner|
|1975 - 1985||Bishop Max Thomas|
|1976 -||Rev Colin Peter Holden||1951|
|1978 -||Rev J. E. Baumgardner||Asst C|
|1985 - 1989||Rev David Maxwell Hollaway||PTO||1945|
|1985 - 1994||Bishop Robert George Beal|
|1986 -||Rev Bruce Raymond Hancock||Asst C||1944|
|1990 - 1994||Rev Graham William Reynolds||RD|
|1993 - 1996||Rev B. A. Johns|
|1994 -||Rev R. K Cohen||1932|
|1995 - 1997||Bishop Paul Richardson|
|1998 - 2008||Bishop David Farrer|
|2008 -||Bishop John Parkes|
The Organ was built by Henry Willis & Sons and Lewis & Co 1922 for Second Church of Christ Scientist, Rathmines, Dublin, Ireland. It was restored and installed in the present location in 1992-3 by Kenneth Jones & Associates, Bray, Ireland. It has 3 manuals, 40 speaking stops, 13 couplers, electro-pneumatic action
For a full description and photos click here.
1. The Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity Wangaratta. NE 283.9455CAT
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.