Warwick, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1870

Denomination: Uniting

Saint: Andrew

Address: Corner Guy & Fitzroy Streets, Warwick, Queensland, 4370

Previous Denomination: Presbyterian

Architect: George David Payne

Traditional Owners: Keinjan people

Last Updated: 24/04/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

A former Presbyterian Church, the Church was first established in 1870. The church building was originally rectilinear in plan and has had a stone entry porch added to the front. The Architect was George David Payne.

It is constructed of load-bearing, rock-faced ashlar sandstone and is divided into six bays separated with buttresses. Lancet arched openings, each housing a pair of lancet windows with a circular window above, are situated between each buttress. The majority of these windows are now filled with commemorative stained glass and the remainder with diamond patterned leadlight windows. A larger lancet arched opening at the eastern end contains three rose windows and five lancet windows, now partially obscured on the exterior by the entry porch.

The western gable end contains a single rose window. The entry porch is rock-faced ashlar with a pitched tiled roof and a pair of arched, timber entry doors surmounted by a small rose window. The steeply pitched roof of the church is clad in red terracotta tiles with small decorative stone pinnacles located in each corner and a small metal fleche resembling a miniature church spire at the roof ridge at the western end. The vestry and choir room is a small rendered masonry structure with a pitched roof added to the western end of the building.

The roof was re shingled in 1906 and leadlight windows were added in 1909.Today the roof is clad with modern ceramic tiles.

Clergy:

These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1851 - 1866 Rev Thomas Kingsford P
1866 - 1869 Rev Colin McCulloch P
1869 - 1873 Rev Isaac Mackay P
1873 - 1881 Rev Alexander Dandie P
1881 - 1882 Rev H. Munro P
1882 - 1887 Rev R. Fraser P
1887 - 1900 Rev Chas J. Legate P
1900 - 1911 Rev Richard Kerr P
1911 - 1916 Rev Allan Mackillop P
1917 - 1921 Rev W. Parton Shinton P
1939 - 1948 Rev G. A. Reid P
2020 ? - Rev Ansie Liebenberg U

Organ:

The Organ was built by the Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane in 1924. It had 2 manuals, 11 speaking stops, tubular pneumatic action. Additions were made in 1938, 1941, 1952 by Whitehouse Brothers. Rebuilt & enlarged in 1965 again by the Whitehouse Brothers. Additions in 2010 by David Cahill of Warwick. It has 3 manuals, 31 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic & direct electric action.
For a full description and photos click here.

 

Source:

1. The Centenary History of the Presbyterian Church in Queensland. Richard Bardon 1949.
2. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.