Warwick, QLD - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1848

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: Mark

Address: 76 Grafton Street, Warwick, Queensland, 4370

Architect: Richard George Suter

Traditional Owners: Keinjan people

Last Updated: 22/04/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The first Anglican service in Warwick was held about 1848, and services continued in the temporary accommodation offered by the old Court House in Alice Street until 1858 when a timber church was constructed on the site of the present stone building in Grafton Street.

Constructed of stone and consisting originally of chancel and transepts only: Norman in character, later additions include turreted belfry. The Church was constructed to design of Brisbane architect, Richard George Suter. This was the second Anglican Church on this site.

This first church was a simple slab structure with nave and transepts, covered by a shingled roof. The building was constructed at a cost of 329/10/0 and was built by John Niblock and John Thompson.


These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1948 - 1952 Rev A. E Johnson Asst
1966 - 1968 Rev W. S. Lipscombe Asst
1968 - 1970 Rev Noel Charles Gill Asst C 1939
1975 - 1984 Rev H C.S. Booth 1930
1975 - 1977 Rev G. W. McGrory Asst
1976 - 1978 Rev M R Meaker
1978 - 1980 Rev F. C. Ailwood
1981 - 1986 Rev Benjamin Albert Clarke 1923
1982 - 1984 Rev A. C Balwin
1984 - 1987 Rev Geoffrey Oswald Thomas 1931
1987 - Rev Maurice Hooley Asst 1936
1987 - 1990 Rev R. H. Clifton Asst
1988 - Rev James Arthur Prosser Assoc P
1990 - 1994 Rev Barry Graham Shield Assoc P
1992 - 1994 Rev Maurice Hooley 1936
1992 - Rev Graham Mitford Oates Asst
1996 - 1999 Rev John Laun Hammer Asst C 1946
1993 - Rev N M Lawless
2000 - Rev Patsy Anne Pendrey


Built by Whitehouse Brothers of Brisbane in 1923, with additions in 1924. Removed from south transept to gallery in 1940by  Whitehouse Brothers. Additions in 1986 by David Hudd of Brisbane. It has 2 manuals, 15 speaking stops, tubular-pneumatic action.
For a full description and photos click here.


1. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.