Watsons Bay, NSW - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1909

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Address: 341 Ols South Head Road, Watsons Bay, New South Wales, 2030

Architect: Clem Glancy

Architectural Style: Romanesque

Traditional Owners: Birrabirragal people

Last Updated: 15/03/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (3 photos)

History and Architecture:

A large Romanesque style Church constructed of coursed random rock faced sandstone ashlar from stone quarried on site. The eastern portion was built 1909-10.  It has been added to in 1929, 1940 and 1966 by the architect Clem Glancy using the same materials and form of construction. Roof is slate, internal walls are painted plaster and floors white terrazzo.

A wall plaque reads, "To the honour and Glory of God this church was erected under the title of Our Lady star of the Sea. The original edifice was erected in 1909-10 for Rev. Peter O'reilly, p.p. Woollahra.

The original confessionals choir gallery, and present facade were added in 1940 for Rev Daniel Hannon PP. Watson's Bay. The statue of Our Lady was added later.  The sanctuary, pulpit, windows, bell and steeple were constructed in 1965.66 for Rev. Patrick Ford, PP Watsons Bay Tom Bass sculptured the copper panels of St. Paul and the evangelists for the Pulpit. John Taylor of England cast the bell.

Antoine Bessac, Grenoble, France provided lights in the nave, and the faceted glass. The Sanctuary. the marble altar from 'Massa Carrara was worked and polished in nearby Viareggio, Italy. Clem Glancy was the Architect. This plaque was erected for 10.6.1985, the seventy fifth anniversary of the opening of the church by Patrick Francis Cardinal Moran, on this historic occasion, tribute is paid to the parishioners whose votive offerings over the long years have built this church. Te Deum Laudamus".


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1909 - Father Peter O'reilly
1940 - Father Daniel Hannon
1965 - Father Patrick Ford


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. Australian Heritage Database.
2. Church wall plaque.