Wentworthville, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1849

Denomination: Presbyterian

Saint: Andrew

Address: McKern Street, Wentworthville, New South Wales, 2145

Architect: David Lennox

Traditional Owners: Durag people

Last Updated: 20/12/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The original St Andrew's Church was designed by David Lennox and construction which began in 1840 was completed in October 1849. It was believed that the old church would be completley demolished, until Presbyterians in Wentworthville, in need of a Church, put forward the idea of reassembling the old Parramatta church in Wentworthville. The Church was re-erected at Wentworthville and officially opened for worship on 24th November, 1928.

A wall plaque reads, "This tablet was unveiled by His Excellency the Governor of NSW and dedicated to the Glory of God by the Moderator of the Presbyterian Church NSW The Right Reverend Peter E. Boase commemorating fifty years of worship in this Church at Wentworthville 26-11-1978".

A further wall plaque reads, " This tablet was set by Rev F. Barclay to commemorate the re erection of this tower Parramatta 1850 re erected June 1928".


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1927 - 1939 Rev F. Barclay
1940 - 1944 Rev F. W. Hewlett
1944 - 1944 Rev C. Mullen
1945 - 1947 Rev J. A. Mitchell
1947 - 1948 Rev A. MacLachlan
1949 - 1953 Rev T. P. McEvoy
1954 - 1960 Rev F. A. Hoad 1907 1985
1961 - 1966 Rev M. M. McDonald
1967 - 1978 Rev R. E. Spring
1979 - 1984 Rev E. N. Paxton
1985 - 1990 Rev E. J. Campbell
1991 - 1996 Rev N. A. C. Ericksson


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. Barbara Hoad, list of clergy from Diamond Jubilee booklet.


1. St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Wentworthville, N.S.W. 1928-1998; 70th anniversary booklet from Illuminate.