Westbury, TAS Holy Trinity Catholic
Year Built: 1874
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Architect: Henry Hunter
Traditional Owners: Palawa people
Last Updated: 24/04/2023
History and Architecture:
Father James Hogan was the first resident priest of the church. He was instrumental in the building of the Holy Trinity Church, aiding the escape of Irish rebel John Mitchel (1853) and establishing Tasmania's first Convent of the Sisters of St Joseph at Westbury in 1887.
The Church was designed by Henry Hunter, Tasmania's most prolific Victorian architect. It is of Gothic style built of stone and can seat 800 persons. The Naive is 37 feet by 71 feet.
The altar was carved from Oamaru limestone, a New Zealand stone very popular in Australia for high quality carved work around the end of the nineteenth century, with some shafts of black and red marble. It was executed by a local Westbury man William Killalea, who worked for Sylvanus Wilmot of Launceston, and its cost was £250.
According to the Launceston Examiner 21 May 1874 the east end window was a gift from Mr John Barber and family, and represents the nativity, the Crucifixion, and the Resurrection.
The Church was opened with a High Mass officiated by the Rev.Dr. D. Murphy on 20th May 1874.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1825 - 1899||Father James Hogan|
|1930 -||Father W. A. Upton|
|-||Father James Ryan|
|1950 -||Father Robert Kennedy||1986|
The organ was built by Melbourne organ builder William Anderson and opened in February 1881. It cost £500. A full description can be seen here at the Organ Historical Trust of Australia.
2. Tas Parishes Heritage Treasures.
3. Westbury and District Historical Society website.
4. Organ Historical trust of Australia.