Westwood, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Traditional Owners: Ghungalu people
Last Updated: 15/06/2022
History and Architecture:
The Daily Northern Argus reported on 7 October 1896 that,
The ceremony of blessing and dedicating the new Roman Catholic Church at Westwood was performed last Sunday morning. The dignatories were the Right Rev Dr. Cani, the Bishop of the Diocese, the Rev Father D. Ryan, of Barcaldine, and the Rev Father Loretucci. The Church was dedicated to the honour of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The new building is situated in the Westwood township, about four chains from the old building which has been it existence about 15 years. The need for new premisses was apparent to celebrants and worshippers. It is 46ft long by 29ft wide, with porch in front and sacristy in the back. The walls are 14ft high and the pitch from floor to centre of arch is 30ft. The windows are of Gothic sashes, 2ft wide by 8ft high. There is accommodation for about 200 people.
The Church was constructed by Messrs Rathbone and Jenkins of Rockhampton from plans designed by Mr John H McGurrin of Stanley Street Rockhampton.
The Church is due for sale in the coming months 2022.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|Father Augusta Loretucci
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. The Daily Northern Argus 7 October 1896 Rockhampton.