Willunga, SA - St Stephen's Anglican (30150)
Year Built: 1884
Traditional Owners: Kaurna people
Last Updated: 03/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The original church of St Stephens was constructed in 1848 as the centre for the Church of England Parish of Myponga, Yankalilla, Meadows and Port Elliott, as well as the Willunga District. It was located on Aldinga Road, further out of town, but was replaced by the current building, located in the centre of Willunga, in 1884.
The old church then fell into disuse, possibly used occasionally for funeral services. The building itself was demolished in about 1930 and very little evidence remains of its location within the cemetery.
The Foundation stone was laid on 6 July 1884 by Bishop Kennion. The Church was consecrated on 3 July 1902 by Bishop Harmer.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1848 - 1856||Rev Arthur Bernard Burnett||1821||1898|
|1856 - 1862||Rev Cuthbert Thomas Neville||1830||1887|
|1863 - 1892||Rev Edmund King Miller||1820||1911|
|1892 - 1896||Rev Francis Herbert Stokes||1854||1929|
|1896 - 1901||Rev George Griffiths||1869||1945|
|1902 - 1921||Rev Thomas Wood||Curate||1855||1937|
|1921 - 1925||Rev Harry Clifford Thrush||1893||1975|
|1926 - 1942||Rev Richard Elliott Saunders||1877||1964|
|1944 - 1954||Rev Henry James Hughes||1905||2000|
|1954 - 1957||Rev James Younger McDonald||1911||1986|
|1957 - 1963||Rev Donald Wallace||1912||1991|
|1966 - 1969||Rev Colin Carew Chittleborough||Curate||1901||2001|
|1989 - 1992||Rev Graham Harry Cooling||1936|
|1977 - 1984||Rev Conrad Brenton Patterson|
|1984 - 1989||Rev F A.P. Allen||1926|
|1992 -||Rev David Ellis Barker||Asst|
|1995 - 1998||Rev Wayne. L Ireland|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.