Wollombi, NSW - St Johns Anglican (10296)

Year Built: 1864

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: John

Address: 2985 Paynes Crossing Road, Wollombi, New South Wales, 2325

Last Updated: 22/07/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 July 1846 by Rev R.T. Bolton. The church was consecrated on 15 February 1849 by the Right Reverend William Tyrell first Lord Bishop of Newcastle.

It was designed by Edmund Blacket and built from 1846 to 1864. The church was constructed in sandstone in the Gothic tradition. The main body of the church was lengthened by 20 feet in 1864 to accomadate the growth of the local community. There is a complete absence of buttresses on the building: the lancets are small and set high above the string course; and the west end door is surrounded with an odd vermiculated rustication – all atypical features.

A residence was built for a local minister in 1895, and Wollombi had a resident clergyman until around 1940.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1852 - 1858 Rev John Frederick Whinfield 1822 1879
1861 - Rev Thomas Head Shaw Locum 1833 1873
1862 - 1863 Rev Hugh Calveley Claughton Missionary 1818 1883
1863 - 1866 Rev John Albert Grieves 1829 1893
1866 - 1876 Rev Bowyer Edward Shaw 1838 1896
1885 - 1893 Rev Popham Street Luscombe 1857 1927
1890 - 1893 Rev William Tait Curate 1851 1925
1892 - Rev P S. Pinchen
1893 - 1903 Rev Charles Frederick Withey 1849 1924
1895 - 1896 Rev Thomas William Ramm 1843 1920
1903 - 1907 Rev Arthur Renwick 1869 1927
1906 - Rev John Fletcher Clifton Curate 1879 1907
1909 - 1912 Rev Herbert Kitley 1871 1952
1912 - 1922 Rev David Thomas Rees 1879 1951
1922 - 1925 Rev Aldophus Peter Elkin 1891 1979
1926 - Rev James Henry Whitehead 1890 1950
1926 - 1934 Rev Godfrey Broughton Stephenson 1866 1946
1934 - 1937 Rev Sydney Victor Satchell 1901 1980
1937 - Rev James George Donoghue Locum 1907 1961
1940 - 1942 Rev Winfrid James Richards Curate 1909 1991
1943 - Rev Roscoe Ward Ayscough Locum 1915 1966
1944 - 1947 Rev Roscoe Ward Ayscough 1915 1966
1950 - 1952 Rev James Richard Flook 1902 1989

Organ:

Built around 1900 by Arthur Linley Scott Brook of Maitland.

Source:

1. The Church Website
2. Trove
3. Cable Clerical Index