Woolgoolga, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Francis Xavier

Address: Cnr Scarborough & Hastings Streets, Woolgoolga, New South Wales, 2456

Architect: J. L. Toomey

Traditional Owners: Gumbaynggirr people

Last Updated: 31/03/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)


History and Architecture:

The Parish of Coffs Harbour, Diocese of Lismore, was formed on December 9, 1906. The original parish embraced a stretch of country skirting the coast including the townships of Coffs Harbour and Woolgoolga, as well as the districts of Moonee and Corindi.

In early 1968 the erection of a new Catholic Church for the people of Woolgoolga commenced. It was designed by Mr J. L. Toomey of Lismore, the building is of concrete foundations with brickwork to floor level. The Church was to have a concrete tiled roof surmounted by a copper spire and encircling the building were walls of glass surrounded by a covered balcony. The blessing and opening of the new St Francis Xavier Church took place in December 1968.

Father O'Gallagher was the first Parish Priest. During 1907 Sunday Masses were celebrated at various areas in the new parish including the School of Arts in Coffs Harbour, the Church at Karangi, Mr Reedy's at Bonville, the School of Arts at Woolgoolga, the Pier Hall at Coffs Jetty, and parishioners' homes at Coramba and Glenreagh.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1907 - Father O'Gallagher
1918 - Father Van Riel Locum
1931 - 1947 Father Vincent Ryan
1947 - 1954 Father Raymond Smith

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Extract from ST AUGUSTINE' S PARISH COFFS HARBOUR  1906-2006. Written and researched by Rosemary Doherty