Woolloongabba, QLD - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1930

Denomination: Anglican

Address: 68 Hawthorne Street, Woolloongabba, Queensland, 4102

Architect: Eric Ford

Architectural Style: Romanesque

Traditional Owners: Turrbal people

Last Updated: 04/03/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

Since 1869, three church buildings have stood on this hill top site. In 1870, a simple wooden church was built after a design by the Irish born, Australian architect, Richard Gailey (1834–1924). At this time, the church was called, Woolloongabba Church of England, South Brisbane.

A second church building was dedicated for service on 23 May 1875 by the Archdeacon Benjamin Glennie.

In the 1920s, fund raising for a new church building at Holy Trinity Woolloongabba recommenced with a system of long-term subscriptions. A target amount of £5,000 was set. However, on the evening of Wednesday 11 December 1929, the then church was destroyed by fire.

The current church was completed in 1930. It was designed by the architect, Eric Ford featuring Romanesque and Spanish mission revival style architecture.

As a result of a a supercell storm in 2014 Holy Trinity Church required nearly $1 million in repairs, including full restoration of the organ and new Cordova roof tiles from Spain.

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone of the Church of the Holy Trinity was laid by Gerald Archbishop of Brisbane March 2nd 1930. This Building replaces a wooden structure destroyed by fire in its sixtieth year. R.B. Massey Rector".


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1888 - 1889 Rev D. Ruddock
1899 - 1901 Rev William Pearce Oakeley 1860 1946
1907 - Rev David John Garland 1863 1939
1909 - 1925 Rev Cecil Howard Edwards Curate 09 / 13 1877 1965
1916 - 1918 Rev Edward Morgan Baker 1874 1940
1930 - Rev R. V. Massey
1933 - 1937 Rev Arthur Edward Morris 1889 1957
1937 - 1946 Rev William Auchterlonie Hardie 1904 1980
1943 - Rev Dennis James Taylor Mission Chaplain 1911 1951
1949 - 1955 Rev Robert Mawson 1914 1981


The first Organ was installed by B.B. Whitehouse & Co of Brisbane in 1912. It was destroyed by fire in in  1929 The currenr Organ was installed by Whitehouse Bros in 1930. A full hisotry can be read here.


1. Wikipedia.
2. Cable Clerical Index.
3. Church website