Young, NSW - St Mary's Catholic
Year Built: 1907
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Last Updated: 05/01/2021
History and Architecture:
In late 1860 to early 1861 a working bee of Catholic diggers erected a temporary wooden church with bark roof which was known as The Bark Chapel. By 1874 a new building was commenced and was blessed in 1876 by Bishop Lanigan.
The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 26 May 1907, and was blessed Rev. Dr. Gallagher. The Church is a simple but impressive Gothic Revival church built in 1876.
The Christian Brothers Monastery in Caple Street is a brick double storey building built in 1927 and is located behind a low brick fence. The monastery was built to accommodate Brothers who had arrived in 1925 to run the Christian Brothers College, previously conducted by secular teachers. The building's architect was G Clancey.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1871 - 1880||Father H. Finneganl|
|1889 - 1933||Father Jerome Hennessy||1941|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.