Tintinara, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Denomination: Uniting

Address: Wendt Terrace, Tintinara, South Australia, 5266

Previous Denomination: Congregational

Architect: Eric von Schramek

Traditional Owners: Ngarkat peoplwe

Last Updated: 24/03/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

The Church was built by and for the Parkin Mission for the Congregational Church in 1966 replacing its former building which was purchased and used by the CWA.

Early in the 20th Century the Congregationalists and the Methodists agreed that in towns along the Dukes highway between Tailem Bend and  Bordertown would be serviced by the Congregational Church [under the Congregational Union's Parkin Mission]  The Methodists withdrew from Tintinara and its church was permanently closed.

Parkin Congregational Mission was endowed to establish and support Congregational Churches in settlements is rural areas by the Hon. William Parkin MLC who died in the 1880's.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1890 - Rev David Milne C
1906 - 1909 Rev Andrew Williams C
1909 - Rev J. G. Shackley M
1910 - 1911 Rev F. L. Rooney M
1911 - Rev John Langsford M
1912 - Rev J. G. Shackley M
1912 - 1913 Rev J. P.H. Tilbrook Part time
1912 - 1914 Rev A. D. McCutcheon M
1914 - Rev Isaac Rooney Part time
1914 - Rev Louis Morton Humphery - more details M 1894 1970
1915 - Rev M. L. White M
1915 - 1917 Rev Thomas Owen M
1917 - 1918 Mr I. Longmore M
1919 - Mr J. Oats M
1919 - 1921 Rev Alf Dyer M
1906 - 1909 Rev Aubrey Stevens C
1910 - 1912 Rev J. E. Creswell C
1913 - Rev J. Chapman C
1916 - Rev W. L. Collier C
1917 - Rev G. Cleaveley C
1920 - Rev H. R. Haworth C
1922 - 1928 Rev William Jarrett C
1928 - 1931 Rev H. T. Wood C
1931 - 1933 Rector Lyddon Cook C
1933 - 1941 Rev G. A. Cooper C
1942 - 1945 Rev H. V. Wooley C
1945 - 1947 Rev R. Mitchell C
1947 - 1950 Rev Alcock C
1951 - 1954 Rev H. Parrott C
1955 - 1960 Rev J. Edward Shepperd C
1960 - Rev Jonathan Barker Student
1961 - 1965 Rev Rex Matthews C
1965 - 1966 Rev Malcolm Lamont C
1965 - 1969 Rev Ross Smith C
1969 - 1972 Rev Eric Chadwick C
1973 - 1974 Rev Stan Haynes C Part time
1975 - 1978 Rev A. C. Blake U
1978 - 1982 Rev Brian W.M. Smith U
1983 - 1986 Rev John Blanksby U
2010 - Rev Karen Filmer U

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Contributions:

1. 2021 Rev Brian W.M. Smith.
2. 2024 Simon Saunders for ref to Architect.

Source:

1. SA Uniting Church Historical Society. A Church in the Desert a History by T.B. Mills 1986.
2. ‘Reminiscences: Eric von Schramek and his churches’, Compiled by Helen Gordon, FOLA Inc. (Friends of Lutheran Archives), 2007.