Humphery, L.M. (60001)

Full Name: Rev Louis Morton Humphery

Born: 19 November 1894

Died: 3 November 1970

Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist, Presbyterian

Biography:

Born in Edwardstown (Plympton) S.A. Educated at Prince Alfred College from 1912. Enlisted in the 1st AIF as a signaller. In 1920 entered Queens's College Melbourne. He married Alma Woolls-Cobb on 2 April 1924 and they had five daughters.

First appointment was Broken Hill Methodist church 1924 - 1927. From 1927 to 1931 at Snowtown, then to Maitland from 1931 until re asigned to Enfield Adelaide in 1934, He was then moved to Unley in 1938 and finally Malvern S.A. from 1940 to 1944.

He moved to the Presbyterian church in 1945 and moved the family to Victoria taking up charges in Violet Town, Loch and finally Frankston in the same year. 

After retirment he served briefly at the Cairns Memorial church in East Melbourne.


Associated Churches:


Maitland, SA - Uniting

Maitland, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1875

Address: 59 Robert Street, Maitland, South Australia, 5573

Originally a Methodist church, the Church was opened on Christmas Day 1875. It was built by J Swann and the mason was C Hicks. It cost 800.00. In 1904 the…

Read More

Enfield Sefton Park, SA - Uniting

Enfield Sefton Park, SA - Uniting

Address: 2 Park Street, Adelaide, Enfield Sefton Park South Australia, 5083

Formerly a Methodist Church. The seeds that brought the Enfield Uniting Church into fruition were sown around 1853 when the Rev. D.J. Draper, from the Pirie…

Read More

Malvern, SA - Uniting

Malvern, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1891

Address: 44 Marlborough Street, Adelaide, Malvern South Australia, 5061

The Wesleyan Methodist's of South Australia built a church in King William Road Unley in 1881. At the beginning of 1891, Malvern Church had been little more…

Read More

Frankston, VIC - Presbyterian (former)

Frankston, VIC - Presbyterian (former)

Address: 6 Davey Street, Melbourne, Frankston Victoria, 3199

A former Presbyterian Church it was re located to High Street Frankston and later became an Uniting Church. The Frankston Standard Newspaper of June 1947…

Read More

Frankston, VIC - Uniting

Frankston, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1916

Address: High Street, Melbourne, Frankston Victoria, 3199

A Presbyterian Church service was first held in 1916 in an open space beside the then Mechanics Institute. The new Presbyterian congregation was at once…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Presbyterian former

East Melbourne, VIC - Presbyterian former

Year Built: 1883

Address: Corner Powlett & Hotham Streets, Melbourne, East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

An article in the Melbourne Argus newspaper of 10 October 1881 reads, "A section of the congregation of Chalmera' Church having been granted permission by the…

Read More