Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: New South Wales, Denomination: Roman Catholic


Maclean, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Maclean, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1893

Address: Woodford Street, , Maclean New South Wales, 2463

The Church was designed by F.W. Scheaffer a Grafton Architect. The church was built with heavy Gothic proportions and the tower is 18.29 m high.

Read More

Malabar, NSW - St Andrew's Catholic

Malabar, NSW - St Andrew's Catholic

Address: 6 Prince Edward Street, , Malabar New South Wales, 2036

Read More

Mallanganee, NSW - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Catholic

Mallanganee, NSW - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 54 Tooloom Street, , Mallanganee New South Wales, 2469

A Foundation stone reads, "Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Church Solemnly blessed by His Lordship Most Rev P J Farrelly DD Bishop of Lismore 2th June 1966".

Read More

Mandurama, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole Catholic

Mandurama, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole Catholic

Year Built: 1936

Address: Mid Western Highway, , Mandurama New South Wales, 2792

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was set and blessed by Most Rev John Francis Norton D.D. Bishop of Bathurst 29th December 1935".

Read More

Manly Vale, NSW - St Kieran's Catholic

Manly Vale, NSW - St Kieran's Catholic

Address: 2 King Street, , Manly Vale New South Wales, 2093

Read More

Manly, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Manly, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 6 Raglin Street, , Manly New South Wales, 2095

Properly called the Parish Church of Mary Immaculate and St Athanasius goes back to the 1850s when Manly’s founder, Henry Gilbert Smith, gave the church land in Pittwater Rd. The first Catholic church in Manly was a timber structure measuring 12m x 5.5m that was built in 1868 at a cost of £231 on the site of the present St Mary’s…

Read More

Marayong, NSW - Our Lady of Czestochowa Queen of Poland Catholic

Marayong, NSW - Our Lady of Czestochowa Queen of Poland Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 116 Quakers Road, , Marayong New South Wales, 2148

In 1966, Cardinal Gilroy consecrated Our Lady of Czestochowa, Queen of Poland Catholic Church in Marayong. The six roof peaks of the Church represent the six million Polish people who were killed in World War II. Late Twentieth Century Ecclesiastical church form reflecting a departure from traditional cruciform church shapes allowed by…

Read More

Marayong, NSW - St Andrew the Appostle Catholic

Marayong, NSW - St Andrew the Appostle Catholic

Address: 36 Breakfast Road, , Marayong New South Wales, 2148

Read More

Maroubra, NSW - Holy Family Catholic

Maroubra, NSW - Holy Family Catholic

Year Built: 1939

Address: 214 Maroubra Road, , Maroubra New South Wales, 2035

The Foundation stone was laid in 1939 and the church was blessed in 1940.

Read More

Marrar, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Marrar, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 5 Lime Street, , Marrar New South Wales, 2652

Early services were conducted in the waiting room of the Coolamon Railway Station and at Winchendon Vale in private homes. The church was officially opened and blessed by the Bishop, the Rt. Rev. Dr. Johm. Gallagher D.D. on 28th February, 1912.

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Marrickville, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1918

Address: 153 Livingstone Road, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

The Passionists came to Australia in 1887 at the invitation of Cardinal Moran, the Archbishop of Sydney. He separated the present parish of St. Brigid's from the parish of Newtown. They originally occupied a small house on the corner of Fletcher St and Petersham Rd. The foundation stone of the Church was laid in October 1887 in…

Read More

Marulan, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Marulan, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: 49 George Street, , Marulan New South Wales, 2579

The first Marulan Catholic Church opened in 1859 at "Old Marulan'', and was situated inside the present Catholic Cemetery area. By the beginning of the 20th century the old township had moved to the present Marulan site. In 1930 a Catholic Church was built here and named St Patrick's. The stone for t'he foundations came from the old…

Read More

Matraville, NSW - St Agnes' War Memorial Catholic

Matraville, NSW - St Agnes' War Memorial Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 509 Bunnerong Road, , Matraville New South Wales, 2036

The first Mass celebrated in this district was on Sunday, 20 January, 1907, when the Bunnerong school-church of Our Lady of the Rosary was blessed and opened by Archbishop Kelly on donated land now known as 45 Perry St, Matraville. A Brick school –church next to the timber school-church: opened in 1951. School hall-church at St Agnes…

Read More

Menai, NSW - Holy Family Catholic

Menai, NSW - Holy Family Catholic

Address: 1D Anzac Road, , Menai New South Wales, 2234

Read More

Merimbula, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Merimbula, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 79 Main Street, , Merimbula New South Wales, 2548

Father Patrick Slattery was appointed to the Eden district in 1865 and Wyndham was one of his areas of service where he held Mass in the homes of the Love or Power families. It was not till 1897 that the contract to build a wooden church was let to J.Koerber and the work was completed in 1898. The Schafer family donated the picture of the…

Read More

Merriwa, NSW - St Anne's Catholic

Merriwa, NSW - St Anne's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: 9 Vennacher Street, , Merriwa New South Wales, 2329

The first Catholic church in town dates from 1858. The current Church was built in 1879-81 to a design by J.W. Pender, with extensions in 1938 which cost over £5,000. The Freemans Journal of 25 June 1881 records "the new Catholic Church at Merriwa was solemnly blessed and opened on Sunday week by his Lordship the Bishop of Armidale…

Read More

Merrylands, NSW - Margaret Mary's Catholic
Merrylands, NSW - St Raphael's Slovenian Catholic a War Menorial

Merrylands, NSW - St Raphael's Slovenian Catholic a War Menorial

Address: 313 Merrylands Road, , Marrylands New South Wales, 2160

A conventional-modern-neo Gothic design, the Church was conceived by Fr. Valerijan Jenko, OFM, OAM then soon to be completed and consecrated in 1973, by assistant bishop Dr. Stanislav Lenič from Ljubljana, Slovenija (previously Yugoslavia).

Read More

Michelago, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Michelago, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: 6418 Monaro Highway, , Michelago New South Wales, 2620

The parish opened with the arrival of a resident priest in 1890. The first St Patrick’s at Michelago was built in 1865 and it’s still there at the rear of the current church, showing its age but hinting at its secrets and its stories. The second St Patrick’s was built in 1907 from bricks made on the site from local red clay.Petersen…

Read More

Millthorpe, NSW - St Canice's Catholic

Millthorpe, NSW - St Canice's Catholic

Address: 70 Park Street, , Millthorpe New South Wales, 2798

Read More

Milton, NSW - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

Milton, NSW - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1891

Address: Corks Lane, , Milton New South Wales, 2538

The Freemans Journal of 14 February 1891 described the opening of a new Catholic Church in Milton, " The latest addition to the churches of the diocese of Sydney, as already notified in the FREEMAN was blessed and opened by his Lordship Dr. Higgins Auxiliary Bishop of Sydney. Tho building is generally acknowledged to be a credit and an…

Read More

Minto, NSW - Church of the Holy Trinity Catholic

Minto, NSW - Church of the Holy Trinity Catholic

Address: Mossglen Street, , Minto New South Wales, 2566

Read More

Miranda, NSW - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Miranda, NSW - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Address: 50 Kiora Road, , Miranda New South Wales, 2228

The first Catholic Church in the shire was a hall in Robertson Street, Sutherland, purchased in 1891. Between 1947-1958 Father Patrick McManus purchased surplus ex RAAF halls for use as church and schools at Miranda, Como and Oyster Bay. The new RAAF Church-hall was officially opened by Bishop O’Brien in January 1949. The church was…

Read More

Mittagong, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Mittagong, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Address: 57 Alfred Street, , Mittagong New South Wales, 2575

Read More

Moama, NSW - St Aloysius Catholic

Moama, NSW - St Aloysius Catholic

Year Built: 1999

Address: 17 Ftancis Street, , Moama New South Wales, 2731

A Foundation plaque reads, " This Church of St Aloysius was officially blessed and opened by The Most Rev Barry Collins Bishop of Wilcannia - Forbes on April 30th 1999. Parish Co-Ordinator Sr Veronia Joyce CSB. Architect Barry Adams and Associates Builder SD & EM Bourke Ply Ltd".

Read More

Mogo, NSW - St Mary's Catholic (Former)

Mogo, NSW - St Mary's Catholic (Former)

Address: 8 Sydney Street, , Mogo New South Wales, 2536

The church was originally built about 1910 after an earlier church was burnt down during a bush fire, and it still contains the original framework and interior metalwork, which was imported from France. The Church is now in private hands.

Read More

Molong, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole's Catholic

Molong, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole's Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: 39 Riddell Street, , Molong New South Wales, 2652

Built in 1916 and in the Gothic style with buttresses, corner turrets and central entrance. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Rev John Dunne D.D. Bishop of Bathurst 21st May 1916".

Read More

Mona Vale, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Mona Vale, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1983

Address: 1 Keenan Street, , Mona Vale New South Wales, 2103

A Foundation stone reads, " To serve the people of God this building was blessed and opened by Edward Bede Clancy Archbishop of Sydney 17th July 1983".

Read More

Moree, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Moree, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: 39 Boston Street, , Moree New South Wales, 2400

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. Church of St Francis Xavier solemnly Blessed and dedicated 15th March 1959 by Most Reverend Bishop E.J. Doody D.D. Rt Rev Mgr L.J. O'Reilly P.P. Foundations of earlier Church preserved".

Read More

Moruya, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Moruya, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: 32 Queen Street, , Moruya New South Wales, 2537

The planned design was in early English of tho early part of the 13th century, with a few modifications to suit the wants of the congregation. The plan consists of a naive of 64 feet by 30 wide and a sanctuary divided from it by a bold arch, 11 foot long and the same width as the nave, those two are under the roof. There is it north and…

Read More

Mosman, NSW - St Therese Catholic

Mosman, NSW - St Therese Catholic

Year Built: 1964

Address: 210 Spit Road, , Mosman New South Wales, 2088

The Parish was established in October 1955 with Masses celebrated in the presbytery for ten years until the church was erected in 1965. The church was designed by Donald Maclurcan, a well-known architect and member of the parish. The foundation stone was laid and blessed on May 10th 1964 by Cardinal Gilroy, Archbishop of Sydney, who…

Read More

Moss Vale, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Moss Vale, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Address: 24 Garrett Street, , Moss Vale New South Wales, 2577

Read More

Mudgee, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Mudgee, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1873 - 1876

Address: 13 Church Street, , Mudgee New South Wales, 2850

The first Catholic Church in Mudgee was built near where the present presbytery now stands and was built of slabs with a bark roof in 1843 on the two acre site of Government granted land. The 2nd St Mary's was a stone church and was commenced in 1857 and in pursuance of the Governments policy to assist financially the building of all…

Read More

Mulwala, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Mulwala, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 27 Havelock Street, , Mulwala New South Wales, 2647

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was blessed and laid in position on Sunday April 7th 1963 by Most Reverend Doctor F.A. Henschke Bishop of Wagga Wagga. Parish Priest Rev P. O'Connell".

Read More

Mummulgum, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic (Former)

Mummulgum, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1951

Address: 8 Bingeebeebra Road, , Mummulgum New South Wales, 2469

A Foundation stone reads, " The foundation stone of this Church of Our Lady of Fatima was solemnly blessed and laid by Most Rev P Farrelly D.D. Bishop of Lismore 8th July 1951. The Church is now in private hands.

Read More

Murringo, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Murringo, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1874 - 1877

Address: Boreham Street, , Murringo New South Wales, 2586

The Church is part of a group of buildings built by the Catholic Church in Murringo (previously Marengo) between the 1870s and 1930 to serve the local Catholic community in their faith and schooling. They included a church (opened in 1877), Convent – and original school (opened in 1917) and new school (opened in 1930). The Convent and…

Read More

Murrumburrah, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Murrumburrah, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1868

Address: Wernon Street, Murrumburrah, Murrumburrah New South Wales, 2587

The foundation stone was laid in 1868. It was extended in 1895-96 with granite for the tower quarried at Demondrille (3 km north-west of Murrumburrah) and carted to the site by bullock and horse teams. St Mary's Convent was opened in 1892 with additions in 1902 and 1933. It closed in the mid-1980s.

Read More

Murrurundi, NSW -  St Joseph's Catholic

Murrurundi, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1860

Address: 59 Polding Street, , Murrurundi New South Wales, 2338

Thomas Haydon donated the land to the church and had a small wooden chapel built on the site in 1841. He oversaw the laying of foundations for a new church in 1855. The current building, St Joseph's Church, is made of local sandstone and was completed in 1860. It was consecrated by Bishop Polding after whom the street is named.

Read More

Muswellbrook, NSW - St James Catholic

Muswellbrook, NSW - St James Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 65 Brook Street, , Muswellbrook New South Wales, 2333

In 1861 the first Church was opened on this site. A branch of the Singleton Convent of Mercy was established there in the 1880s and a convent and church from this period survive. The first St James was replaced by the present church in 1912. It was built by D. Jordan of Muswellbrook and designed by James Hicks, the local architect. The…

Read More

Narooma, NSW - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Narooma, NSW - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1984

Address: 9 Canty Street, , Narooma New South Wales, 2546

The book, ‘Our Story - Catholic Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn’ states that Narooma was excised from Moruya in 1957, but was returned to the Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn in 1976. The original wooden church was built in 1895, but replaced by the present brick church in 1984.’

Read More