Year Built: 1962
Address: 44 Murrumbeena Road, , Murrumbeena Victoria, 3163
The Church has been meeting in Murrumbeena since 1890. In 1907, with an eye on future expansion of the church facilities, negotiations took place to acquire adjacent vacant land fronting Sydney Street. A “beautiful and commodious Sunday School hall” was erected thereon, officially opening in February 1916 (Oakleigh & Caulfield Times…
Address: 312 Glen Osmond Road, , Myrtle Bank South Australia, 5064
In 1882, it started as a preaching station out of Parkside Baptist and by 1884 it was recognised as a church in its own right and a member church of the South Australian Baptist Union (now Baptist Churches SA). The church was built in 1883, funded very largely by Mr G.S. Fowler, who also regularly provided funds for payment of its…
Year Built: 1885
Address: 26 Mason Street, , Newport Victoria, 3015
An offer was made by Mr Hugh Ross of Newport to Mr Issac Hopkins, that if there was one allotment of land purchased in Newcastle street he would give an ajoinning allotment if the church was built within 12 months. The subsequent building measured 48 ft x 28ft and had seating for 250 people. it was erected by Mr C.J. Prosser to the…
Year Built: 1905
Address: 96 Elphin Road, , Newstead Tasmania, 7250
It was in 1905 that a group of dedicated Christian people from the Launceston Baptist Tabernacle in Cimitiere Street saw the need to extend the work of the Church into the suburbs. The fast growing "Elphin Rise" area, with its high proportion of young families, was chosen. A public ceremony was held in June 1905 when the foundation stone…
Year Built: 1850
Address: 146 Tynte Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006
The history of this Church dates to 1848 when a group of 21 people left the Ebenezer Baptist Chapel, uncomfortable with the closed-mindedness of the majority of the congregation, and founded a new Church. In 1850, they built a chapel in Lefevre Terrace seating 350. When that proved too small, they acquired the acre of land in Tynte…
Address: 1 Church Road, , Norton Summit South Australia, 5136
The first services were performed by Rev Thomas Playford during 1842 in Robert Norton's log cabin at Grassy Flat. As the congregation incresed by 1851 a roughly constructed stone building was built and furnished at Grassy Flat. The Foundation of the new church designed by David Williams Jnr was laid on Monday afternoon April 24 1882.…
Year Built: 1930
Address: 20 Grundy Ave, , Nyora Victoria, 3987
The Church was originally known as St Mark’s Church of England. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Church was erected and dedicated in 1930 A.D. The Right Rev George Harvard Cranswick D.D. being Bishop of Gippsland - This memorial tablet was unveiled by Mr George Henley of Nyora 4th October 1930".
Year Built: 1913
Address: 63 Sale Street, , Orange New South Wales, 2800
A Foundation stone reads, This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Mr W. White Vice President Baptist Union NSW - 24th April 1913. Pastor Rev ???". A further Foundation stone reads, " This tablet was set by Mrs J. Williams a valued member of this Church 24th April 1913". Another Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the…
Year Built: 1880
Address: 100 Young Street, , Parkside South Australia, 5063
On the 26th of March in 1880 at the half yearly meeting of the SA Baptist Association held at Mitcham, a committee was appointed to take action in relation to the establishment of a Baptist interest in the growing suburb of Parkside. Land was eventually purchased for a cost of £263 and plans discussed for building the chapel. As the…
Address: Diamond Creek Road, , Plenty Victoria, 3090
Between 1954 and 1956 several homes were used for services including Gordon and Margaret Brown in Grimshaw Street. The first church was in Hobson Street between 1956 and 1960 which is now a medical centre.
Year Built: 1888
Address: 16 Windsor Road, , Red Hill Queensland, 4059
In 1877 the church was formed with just 19 members, pastored by Rev Thomas Leitch. By 1888 the church building was constructed debt-free, on the present Windsor Road site, Its seats 400. The style is Victorian Carpenter Gothic. By 1973 it was considered that the church should close however the persistence e of the 30 members kept it open.…
Year Built: 1949
Address: Corner Waiora Road & Churchill Street, , Rosanna Victoria, 3084
Early services were held at the residence of the Yates family in Lower Pleny Road. The Foundation stone was laid by Dr H.D. Downing on 29 October 1949. The architects were Plaisted, Warner and Brendel. The builder was C.A Lawrence.
Year Built: 1903
Address: 209 Princes Highway, , Sale Victoria, 3850
A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by Professor Kernot M.A. M.C.E. President of the Baptist Union of Victoria 20th June 1903". Another stone reads, "This stone was laid by John Williams Esq J.P. June 6th 1901". The Church building is now in private hands.
Address: 14 Chapel Road, , Sassafras Tasmania, 7307
Sassafras Pioneer Henry Rockliff, established the first church in the district. The Skelbrook Chapel was opened on 1st January 1865 by Wesleyan Minister Rev Isaac Rooney. it was built for Henry Rockliff on his property Skelbrook to be used as an interdenominational chapel. Since the 1890's it has been used regularly by the Baptist church.…
Address: 60 Semaphore Road, , Semaphore South Australia, 5019
This large two-storied structure of solid stone and built in Classical Renaisance style in 1883 as a church, with schoolrooms beneath. The complex expanded over the decades and in 1902, the fine organ was installed. The last church service was in the summer of 2000. The building initially housed The Urban Peasant and later a local MP's…
Year Built: 1930
Address: 102 Main Street, , Sheffield Tasmania, 7306
Two foundation stones reads, " This stone was laid by the Rev V.G. Britton as a memorial to the late William Gibson who on this site built the Tabernacle in 1891 which was destroyed by fire March 23rd 1930". The other stone reads, " This stone was laid by John Soundy Esq, M.H.A. October 11th 1930".
Address: 12 Surrey Road, , South Yarra Victoria, 3141
The Church is the fourth oldest continuing Baptist church in Victoria, following Collins St Melbourne, Aberdeen St Geelong, and Brighton. The church has had three previous locations. The first was a weatherboard building 8m x 13m, paid for by Mr Robert Kerr (a deacon of Collins St Baptist), on a narrow block in Brewer (now Charles)…
Address: 170 Nerang Street, , Southport Queensland, 4215
The Church first started by a small group of believers in 1949. After initially meeting in the Bauer Street home of Mr and Mrs Green, within six months, the group had begun meeting in the local Scouts hall, and had named themselves the Southport Baptist Fellowship.
Year Built: 1909
Address: 96 Mersey Main Road, , Spreyton Tasmania, 7310
The church was built entirely out of donated material. Mr J.B. Graves of the Spreyton brickworks agreed to donate 16 000 bricks on condition that the church was established debt free. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by Rev F Miles August 4 1909". For a full history visit Churches of Tasmania. Click here.