Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Roman Catholic


White Hills, VIC - Holy Rosary Catholic

White Hills, VIC - Holy Rosary Catholic

Address: 2 Heinz Street, , White Hills Victoria, 3550

Read More

Whitton, NSW - St Carthage's Catholic
Williamstown, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Williamstown, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1856

Address: 116 Cecil Street, , Williamstown Victoria, 3016

Fr Geoghegan was Victoria's pioneer priest, and for six years, was Williamstown's first resident pastor. Dublin-born, zealous, and 34-years-old, he landed in the Port Phillip district of New South Wales in 1839, aboard the square-rigged coaster Paul Pry. He was a driving force behind the building of the village's first church.…

Read More

Willow Tree, NSW - Catholic

Willow Tree, NSW - Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 25 Learmouth Street, , Willow Tree New South Wales, 2339

A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone of this Church dedicated to the Immaculate heart of Mary was solemnly blessed and laid by The Most Rev E.J. Doody D.D. Bishop of Armidale Sunday May 9 1954 Very Reverend M. Tully R.I. Parish Priest".

Read More

Willunga, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Willunga, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1845

Address: 12 St Jude Street, , Willunga South Australia, 5172

In April 1845 Bishop Murphy celebrated the First Mass in Willunga (probably in a private home) and returned in 1847 to help organise the building of a Church. A collection was taken up which realised 72/10/- and the decision was made to build a church. Father Michael O'Brien was appointed, but never resided in the parish. When visiting…

Read More

Winchelsea, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Winchelsea, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Year Built: 1892

Address: Corner Mercer & Harding Streets, , Winchelsea Victoria, 3241

As early as 1842, Catholic pioneers living in the isolated and sparsely settled Western District of Victoria received occasional visits from a priest, to minister to their spiritual needs. He was Fr Michael Stephens O.S.A. who moved to Geelong in September that year. As far back as 1855, Dean Fitzpatrick V.G. had applied for a grant of…

Read More

Windsor, QLD - Holy Rosary Catholic

Windsor, QLD - Holy Rosary Catholic

Address: 15 Roblane Street, , Windsor Queensland, 4030

Read More

Winton, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Winton, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 51 Cork Street, , Winton Queensland, 4735

The Church has seen three church buildings. The second was blessed by Bishop Terence Mc Guire. In 1935 he blessed the Foundation Stone for a new St Patrick's Church. The new church was completed in 1939 and was blessed and opened on 7th May by Bishop H.E. Ryan the second Bishop of Townsville. This Church was burnt down in 1967. A…

Read More

Withcott, QLD - Catholic

Withcott, QLD - Catholic

Address: Rutherford Road, , Withcott Queensland, 4352

Read More

Wodonga, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Wodonga, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 281 Beechworth Road, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690

Read More

Wodonga, VIC - St Augustine Catholic

Wodonga, VIC - St Augustine Catholic

Address: Corner Bank & High Street, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690

Read More

Wollombi, NSW - St Michael the Archangel Catholic

Wollombi, NSW - St Michael the Archangel Catholic

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 September 1840 by the Reverend John Polding. From 1843 services were held in the Gothic-style church, built of locally quarried sandstone.Erected beside Wollombi Brook, the church suffered damage in the 1893 flood and was moved to higher ground in Maitland Road, where it remains. In October of that year…

Read More

Wollongong, NSW - Sacred Heart Chapel Catholic

Wollongong, NSW - Sacred Heart Chapel Catholic

Year Built: 1965

Address: 32 Stewart Street, , Wollongong New South Wales, 2500

The Church was designed by Gino Volpato and built by Sabemo and was opened in 1966. A low pitched gable roof embraces a rectangular nave with and entrance at the south end, ancillary rooms at the north end and broad verandas protecting the extensive glazing of the east and west side walls. The ceiling follows the roof lines, sloping…

Read More

Wonthaggi, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Wonthaggi, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1977

Address: Dowling Street, , Wonthaggi Victoria, 3995

The first Catholic Church in what is now the Parish of Wonthaggi was built on land near the junction of Heslop's Road and the main road to Melbourne. Prior to this priests would travel from Dandenong to say mass and minister to Catholic settlers in homes or other shelters. In 1911 plans were produced for the first church by Mr C.J. Rice…

Read More

Woodend, VIC - St Ambrose Catholic

Woodend, VIC - St Ambrose Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: 16 Templeton Street, , Woodend Victoria, 3442

Initially Woodend's Catholic residents were served by St. Mary's Mission in Kyneton under the guidence of Rev. Fr. Stack. He was the first resident priest appointed in 1853 and was responsible for an area which extended from Macedon to mid-way between Kyneton and Bendigo and from Trentham to Redesdale. The first Church was constructed…

Read More

Woodlands, WA - Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic

Woodlands, WA - Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic

Address: 17 Angelico Street, , Woodlands Western Australia, 6018

Read More

Woodstock, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Woodstock, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Address: 19 Parkes Street, , Woodstock New South Wales, 2793

Read More

Woolgoolga, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Woolgoolga, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: Cnr Scarborough & Hastings Streets, , Woolgoolga New South Wales, 2456

The Parish of Coffs Harbour, Diocese of Lismore, was formed on December 9, 1906. The original parish embraced a stretch of country skirting the coast including the townships of Coffs Harbour and Woolgoolga, as well as the districts of Moonee and Corindi. In early 1968 the erection of a new Catholic Church for the people of Woolgoolga…

Read More

Woolloongabba, QLD - St Luke's Catholic

Woolloongabba, QLD - St Luke's Catholic

Year Built: 1936

Address: 43 Taylor Street, , Woolloogabba Queensland, 4102

Prior to the construction of St Luke's, Buranda, the Catholic community in the area was part of the parish of the combined districts of Coorparoo and Ipswich Road formed in 1913 when Father J. O'Leary was appointed the first parish priest. The Church was designed by Brisbane architect Frank Leo Cullen and built in the Spanish Mission…

Read More

Woolloongabba, QLD - Ukranian Catholic

Woolloongabba, QLD - Ukranian Catholic

This Foundation stone of the Church of our Lady of Protection the first Ukrainian Catholic Church, in Queensland was blessed and laid by the Most Reverend Maksym AAM KC CyS RDD Metropolitan of Ukrainian rite in Canada on his first visit to Australia, 2nd February, 1958 Pius X11 James Duhig Archbishop of Brisbane Stefan Maslo CSSR Pastor”.…

Read More

Wooloowin, QLD - Holy Cross Catholic

Wooloowin, QLD - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: 69 Chalk Street, , Wooloowin Queensland, 4030

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 June 1968 by the Most Reverend P.M. O'Donnell Archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Woolwich, NSW - St Peter's Chanel Catholic

Woolwich, NSW - St Peter's Chanel Catholic

Address: 4 Futuna Street, , Woolwich New South Wales, 2110

The church was built in two stages between 1890 and 1901 and was supported by the early Irish community. The church and Futuna Street are named in memory of the French Marist missionary, St Peter Chanel, who was killed by natives on the Pacific island of Futuna in 1841. A memorial stone reads, ' This memorial stone was solemnly blessed…

Read More

Wowan, QLD - St Anne's Catholic

Wowan, QLD - St Anne's Catholic

Address: Don Street, , Wowan Queensland, 4702

Read More

Wycheproof, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Wycheproof, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 45 Webster Street, , Wycheproof Victoria, 3527

The first Church built at Mount Wycheproof was the Roman Catholic church, it was opened with great celebration on Easter Monday April 2nd 1877. The Catholic school attached to the current Church was opened in 1954. A Foundation stone reads, "Blessed by Most Rev J.P. O'Collins Bishop of Ballarat 19 Nov 1967. Men of Parish G.A. Egan…

Read More

Wynnum, QLD - Guardian Angels Catholic

Wynnum, QLD - Guardian Angels Catholic

Year Built: 1904

Address: 198 Bay Terrace, , Wynnum Queensland, 4178

The church site was a gift to the parish from His Grace, the late Archbishop, Dr Dunne, who purchased the site at a cost of £420. In April, 1905, the Church was officially opened, taking but a year to bring their work to a successful conclusion. The architect responsible was the late Mr. Galley, and Mr. J. Little was the builder. New…

Read More

Wynyard, TAS - St Brigid's Catholic

Wynyard, TAS - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 37 Goldie Street, , Wynyard Tasmania, 7325

The church is in the Romanesque style and it replaced an older church which was built in 1876. A Foundation stone reads, "This first stone of this Church erected to the honour and glory of God was laid by his grace Most Rev Dr Delany Archbishop of Hobart, May 28th 1911 Ded Graius".

Read More

Wyong, NSW - St Cecilia's Catholic

Wyong, NSW - St Cecilia's Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: 23 Byron Street, , Wyong New South Wales, 2259

The original intention was to build a church on Alison Road in Wyong close to the Old Court House however in 1904 a local resident by the name of Albert Warner purchased the land where the church is today. He donated the land to the church. The Church cost £861 to erect. The foundation stone says it was laid by Cardinal Moran on 6…

Read More

Yackandandah, VIC - St Matthews Catholic

Yackandandah, VIC - St Matthews Catholic

Year Built: 1872

Address: 22 Windham Street, , Yackandandah Victoria, 3749

A plaque reads, " St. Matthew's Catholic Church, Yackandandah Built using local granite in 1872. Opened and Blessed by Fr. Patrick Moore 1868 - 1874 Plaque donated & erected by Catholic Community to celebrate Jubilee 2000 Blessed by Rev. Monsignor John White M.B.E., ADM., V.F".

Read More

Yagoona, NSW - Christ the King Catholic

Yagoona, NSW - Christ the King Catholic

Year Built: 1982

Address: 2 Cantrell Street, , Yagoona New South Wales, 2199

Read More

Yamba, NSW - St James Catholic

Yamba, NSW - St James Catholic

Year Built: 1975

Address: 34 Yamba Street, , Yamba New South Wales, 2464

A stone plaque reads, "St James Church solemnly blessed by The Most Rev John Satterthwaite Bishop of Lismore 3rd December 1975".

Read More

Yambuk, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (former)

Yambuk, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (former)

Year Built: 1932

Address: 18 High Street, , Yambuk Victoria, 3285

The Church was opened by the Most Reverend Daniel Foley DD Bishop of Ballarat on 28th of August 1932.

Read More

Yanco, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Yanco, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: Main Street, , Yanco New South Wales, 2703

The first services were held in 1911 and were carried out in the workshop at North Yanko Station, which is where part of Yanco Agricultural High School is situated, and Mr Wade's house. In later years, masses were held at Yanco Hall also known at the time as the School of Arts. Bishop Dwyer of Wagga Wagga consecrated the current St…

Read More

Yangan, QLD - Our Lady of good counsel Catholic

Yangan, QLD - Our Lady of good counsel Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: King Street, , Yangan Queensland, 4371

The Church was opened on 4 December 1955.

Read More

Yarra Glen, VIC - St Aloysius Catholic

Yarra Glen, VIC - St Aloysius Catholic

Address: Sayle Street, , Yarra Glen Victoria, 3775

Planning for a Church to be erected in Yarra Glen began about 1888 and Mr Charles Fletcher won the tender to erect a timber and iron building. The Archbishop of Melbourne, Reverend Dr Carr made a special visit to formally open the building on Sunday 19 July 1890. From October 1889 Yarra Glen was served by a parish priest based at…

Read More

Yarra Junction, VIC - St Thomas A'Beckett Catholic

Yarra Junction, VIC - St Thomas A'Beckett Catholic

Address: Milners Road, , Yarra Junction Victoria, 3797

Read More

Yarragon, VIC - St Jarlath Catholic

Yarragon, VIC - St Jarlath Catholic

Address: Rollo Street, , Yarragon Victoria, 3823

The Church is of Gothic design, and was built in 1899. Previously Mass was celebrated in a small rented building. The blessing was performed by Fr. Coleman and Mass celebrated by Fr. Coyne. Winter's 'Mass in G' was sung by the choir and Fr. Maher of the Vincentians preached. The church was designed by Leonard Flannagan of Melbourne. The…

Read More

Yarram, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Yarram, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1915

Address: 5 Buckley Street, , Yarram Victoria, 3971

The Church was built at the request of Bishop Phelan who laid the foundation stone 10th October 1915. He also opened and blessed the completed buildings which had cost in the vicinity of £4000 but, with donations and proceeds of St. Patrick's Day Sports, by September 1917 the debt had been reduced to £1550. A Foundation stone reads, "…

Read More

Yarraville, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Yarraville, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1924

Address: 71 Somerville Road, , Yarraville Victoria, 3013

The Church is in Romanesque style and was commenced in November 1923. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was laid June 1st 1924 and the Church was blessed and opened Feb 1st 1925. His Grace the Most Rev Daniel Mannix D.D. L.L.D. Archbishop of Melbourne Rev T English P.P.". The Church was constructed between 1918 and 1924…

Read More

Yarrawonga, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Yarrawonga, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1905

Address: 8 Murphy Street, , Yarrawonga Victoria, 3730

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Most Rev S. Reville D.D. O.S.A. Bishop of Sandhurst April 30th 1905. Pastor The Rev E Madden Architects Kempson & Conolly Contractors Farnsworth and Son".

Read More

Yass, NSW - Old St Augustine's Catholic

Yass, NSW - Old St Augustine's Catholic

Address: 105 Meehan Street, , Yass New South Wales, 2582

The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 11 April 1954 by Archbishop Eris O'Brien and the church was opened on 29 April 1956, by Archbishop Guilford Young. Fifty-year celebrations were organised on 29 April 2006 by Father Laurie Bent, who was Parish Priest in Yass at the time.

Read More