Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Organ Manufacturer: Hill, Norman & Beard


Bentleigh, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bentleigh, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: Corner Tucker & Centre Roads, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

The land for the church's current location was granted by Mr John Matthew Smith. The original church building was beset by poor workmanship and delays. The foundation stone was laid by Mr W.R. Looker J.P. on Monday 11th October 1872. The new Church under the charge of the Rev. William Singleton of Cheltenham, was opened in June by the…

Read More

East Geelong, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

East Geelong, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1929

Address: Corner Thear & McKillop Street, , East Geelong Victoria, 3219

The establishment of St. Matthew's was largely made possible by the effort and generosity of the late G. F. Belcher residing at Murchison Hall, Garden Street, and who had recently retired from politics, having been Mayor of Geelong, 1873 - 1875 and a member of the State Parliament, 1875 - 1886. Mr Belcher donated the land and half the…

Read More

Footscray, VIC - Baptist

Footscray, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1904

Address: 60 Paisley Street, , Footscray Victoria, 3011

A Foundation stone reads, " This memorial stone was laid by Rev S Pearce Carey M.A.. President of the Baptist Union of Victoria Aug 6th 1904". Another Foundation stone reads, " This memorial stone was laid by Mrs Westmore G Stephens Aug 6th 1904 - McKellar Architect - A Parker Contractor".

Read More

Forrest, ACT - St Christopher's Catholic Cathedral

Forrest, ACT - St Christopher's Catholic Cathedral

Address: Franklin Street, , Forrest Australian Capital Territory, 2603

The Cathedral is a Romanesque style building made of brick. The Romanesque wall arches and window jambs are all formed of cream, rounded moulded bricks, as are the door architraves. Its south-east front is symmetrical, dominated by a large rose window above a decorative arched entrance in synthetic stone. Large recessed wall arches in…

Read More

Lithgow, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Lithgow, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1924

Address: Railway Parade, , Lithgow New South Wales, 2790

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Right Reverend C.M. Long D.D. Bishop of Bathurst November 1st 1924".

Read More

Malvern, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Malvern, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: 47 Stanhope Street, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

The Very Rev. Father (afterwards Dean) Hegarty, parish priest of St. Kilda celebrated the first public Mass for the Catholics of Malvern in the new Malvern Town Hall on the third Sunday of September 1888. An earlier Mass had been said on the 3rd February 1888 at the recently established Convent of the Sacred Heart in Burke Road. In 1889,…

Read More

Mornington, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Mornington, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Queen Street, , Mornington Victoria, 3931

St Peter's Church of England, (Anglican) Queen Street, Mornington, is a brick Church designed by architect Leonard Terry and built in stages commencing in 1861. The Church was opened on 19 May 1861. Later extensions include remainder of the nave, chancel, sanctuary and distinctive porch, which may have been built 1863 and much altered or…

Read More

Neutral Bay, NSW - St Augustine Anglican

Neutral Bay, NSW - St Augustine Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 75 Shellcove Road, , Neutral Bay New South Wales, 2089

The Church is now known as the Bridge Church. A Foundation stone reads, To the Glory of God and in memory of those who gave their lives and all who served in World War 1939 - 1945 this stone was set by The Most Reverend H.W.K. Mowll CMG DD Archbishop of Sydney Primate of Australia on February fifteenth 1958. C Kenderine ThL Rector".

Read More

North Parramatta, NSW - All Saint's Anglican

North Parramatta, NSW - All Saint's Anglican

Year Built: 1847

Address: 29 Elizabeth Street, , North Parramatta New South Wales, 2150

This Victorian Gothic Revival Church (begun 1846, completed in 1847) was designed and built by James Houison. Additions were made in 1860 and spire completed in 1861. It is built of finely dressed sandstone with a timber trussed slated roof and consists of a nave, aisles and chancel and a square tower with a fine broad spire. Includes…

Read More

St Lucia, QLD - Christ Church Anglican

St Lucia, QLD - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1962

Address: 3 Baty Street, , St Lucia Queensland, 4067

The Church was constructed in 1962. The side walls of the church are of a concertina form, blades of brick along the line of the building with short window walls across the line of the building, the glass facing the western front. The window walls are trimmed in light coloured bricks and provide light and ventilation to the interior, as…

Read More

Sydney, NSW - St Stephen's Uniting

Sydney, NSW - St Stephen's Uniting

Year Built: 1935

Address: 197 Macquarie Street, , Sydney New South Wales, 2000

The Church was designed in the Inter War Gothic style and was opened in 1935 and replaced an earlier building in Phillip Street and an even earlier prefabricated "Iron Church" in Macquarie Street near the present site.

Read More

Torquay, VIC - Uniting

Torquay, VIC - Uniting

Address: 28 Anderson Street, , Torquay Victoria, 3228

Formerly a Presbyterian church. In 1900 a building at New Manners Steightz was disassembled and moved to Torquay and re-erected and opened for services in April 1900. The church measured 23ft by 19ft with a porch measuring 7ft by 6ft. In September 1925 plans for a new church and Sunday school designed by Laird and Buchan of Geelong…

Read More

Warrnambool, VIC - Uniting

Warrnambool, VIC - Uniting

Address: 96 Koroit Street, , Warrnambool Victoria, 3280

Originally a Methodist Church.

Read More