Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia


West Lakes, SA - Uniting

West Lakes, SA - Uniting

Address: Bartley Terrace, , West Lakes South Australia, 5021

Read More

Williamstown, SA - Church of Christ

Williamstown, SA - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1900

Address: Margaret Street, , Williamstown South Australia, 3016

The Foundation stone was laid in February 1900. The Church of Christ congregation was established in Williamstown with the construction of a corrugated iron building in 1893. By 1900 the members of the church had raised sufficient funds to construct a simple stone chapel which was opened on 20 May 1900. It is a simple hall form…

Read More

Williamstown, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Williamstown, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Corner George & Church Streets, , Williamstown South Australia, 3016

A small random stone hall church with slate roof and stone bell gablet, built in 1860-61. The church was built on land which was a gift of George Warren who subdivided the town of Williamstown in 1858, and the Warrens maintained their support for St Peter's as did other local families including the Gilbert, Ross, Browne, and Manser…

Read More

Williamstown, SA - Uniting

Williamstown, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1860

Address: Church Street, , Williamstown South Australia, 3016

The Church (former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel) is a small random stone hall style church with a simple gable ended front porch and an extension to the end gable with a brick bell gablet. The church was constructed in 1860, opened on September 30 by the Reverend Bennett. The porch was added in 1894. The complex also includes a hall…

Read More

Willunga, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Willunga, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1845

Address: 12 St Jude Street, , Willunga South Australia, 5172

In April 1845 Bishop Murphy celebrated the First Mass in Willunga (probably in a private home) and returned in 1847 to help organise the building of a Church. A collection was taken up which realised 72/10/- and the decision was made to build a church. Father Michael O'Brien was appointed, but never resided in the parish. When visiting…

Read More

Willunga, SA - St Stephen's Anglican

Willunga, SA - St Stephen's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: St Andrew's Terrace, , Willunga South Australia, 5172

The original church of St Stephens was constructed in 1848 as the centre for the Church of England Parish of Myponga, Yankalilla, Meadows and Port Elliott, as well as the Willunga District. It was located on Aldinga Road, further out of town, but was replaced by the current building, located in the centre of Willunga, in 1884. The old…

Read More

Willunga, SA - Uniting

Willunga, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1896

Address: St Judes Street, , Willunga South Australia, 5172

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist church. Willunga was the first country circuit for the large Wesleyan Church in South Australia. This is the fourth church built on this site. The first church was opened in 1844. A second larger church was built alongside it in 1848, later to become the Sunday School Hall, still in use. In 1856/57 a…

Read More

Windsor Gardens, SA - Uniting

Windsor Gardens, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1965

Address: Pitman Road, , Windsor Gardens South Australia, 5087

A Foundation stone was laid on 4 July 1965 which read, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by W.H. & B.C. Pitman Foundation members of the Gillies Plains Methodist Church Trust on 4th July 1965.

Read More

Woodville, SA - St Margaret of Scotland Anglican

Woodville, SA - St Margaret of Scotland Anglican

Address: 739 Port Road, , Woodville South Australia, 5011

Read More

Woodville, SA - Uniting

Woodville, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: 44 Woodville Road, , Woodville South Australia, 5011

The Woodville Wesleyan Mission was organised in 1876 as part of the Port Adelaide Circuit. Services were initially held in the York (now Kilkenny) Rechabite Hall. Local landowner, Captain Henry Simpson, donated a portion of his land of Woodville Road so that a church could be built. The first church was constructed in 1877 using iron…

Read More

Yankalilla, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Yankalilla, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Address: 132 Main Road, , Yankalilla South Australia, 5203

Christ Church has a marble font which has its origins in the Middle Ages, once gracing Salisbury Cathedral in England. It was given to a former Christ Church rector during a visit to England.

Read More

Yankalilla, SA - Lutheran

Yankalilla, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1879

Address: 121 Main Road, , Yankalilla South Australia, 5203

The Southern Fleurieu Peninsula was first mapped by Europeans in 1802 with both Nicholas Baudin and Matthew Flinders travelling the coastline. The French explorer Baudin named the Fleurieu Peninsula. Formerly a Methodist church it was established in 1879. The adjoining hall was opened in 1932. As of 2011 the Luthern's were using…

Read More

Yankalilla, SA - Uniting

Yankalilla, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1879

Address: 121 Main Road, , Yankalilla South Australia, 5203

The Southern Fleurieu Peninsula was first mapped by Europeans in 1802 with both Nicholas Baudin and Matthew Flinders travelling the coastline. The French explorer Baudin named the Fleurieu Peninsula. Formerly a Methodist church it was established in 1879. The adjoining hall was opened in 1932. The Lutheran's also use this Church…

Read More

Yelta, SA - Uniting

Yelta, SA - Uniting

Address: Kadina Street North, Yelta, Yelta South Australia, 5558

Read More