Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Withcott, QLD - Catholic

Withcott, QLD - Catholic

Address: Rutherford Road, , Withcott Queensland, 4352

Read More

Wodonga, VIC - Baptist

Wodonga, VIC - Baptist

Address: Melrose Drive, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690

Read More

Wodonga, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Wodonga, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 281 Beechworth Road, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690

Read More

Wodonga, VIC - Serbian Orthodox

Wodonga, VIC - Serbian Orthodox

Address: 54 High Street, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690

Read More

Wodonga, VIC - St Augustine Catholic

Wodonga, VIC - St Augustine Catholic

Address: Corner Bank & High Street, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690

Read More

Wodonga, VIC - St John's Anglican

Wodonga, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1965

Address: 225 Beechworth Road, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690

The church was relocated to its present position and renamed St John’s and a dedication Service was held on 6th November 1965.

Read More

Wodonga, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Wodonga, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1875

Address: 14 Havelock Street, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690

The first Lutheran Church built in Wodonga was dedicated in 1875. This building was used for approximately 90 years until it was demolished and replaced by a temporary building and then the current church which was dedicated in 1978. The Ovens and Murray Advertiser on 4th August 1874 reported "The Rev. Goessling pastor of the German…

Read More

Wodonga, VIC - St Stephen's Uniting

Wodonga, VIC - St Stephen's Uniting

Address: Corner Beechworth Road & Nilmar Avenue, , Wodonga Victoria, 3690

Read More

Wollombi, NSW - St John's Anglican

Wollombi, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 2985 Paynes Crossing Road, , Wollombi New South Wales, 2325

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 July 1846 by Rev R.T. Bolton. The church was consecrated on 15 February 1849 by the Right Reverend William Tyrell first Lord Bishop of Newcastle. It was designed by Edmund Blacket and built from 1846 to 1864. The church was constructed in sandstone in the Gothic tradition. The main body of the church…

Read More

Wollombi, NSW - St Michael the Archangel Catholic

Wollombi, NSW - St Michael the Archangel Catholic

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 September 1840 by the Reverend John Polding. From 1843 services were held in the Gothic-style church, built of locally quarried sandstone.Erected beside Wollombi Brook, the church suffered damage in the 1893 flood and was moved to higher ground in Maitland Road, where it remains. In October of that year…

Read More

Wollomombi, NSW - St John's Presbyterian

Wollomombi, NSW - St John's Presbyterian

Address: 78 Wollomombi Village Road, , Wollomombi New South Wales, 2350

Read More

Wollongong, NSW - City Central Presbyterian

Wollongong, NSW - City Central Presbyterian

Year Built: 1937

Address: 33 Burelli Street, , Wollongong New South Wales, 2500

A plaque on a stone reads, " This stone is from the original Presbyterian Church, which was the first church in Wollongong, and was situated on the north-western corner of Crown & Church streets. The site was given by Charles Throsby Smith Esq., September, 1837. The present site was donated by William Lang Esq., December, 1935. This…

Read More

Wollongong, NSW - Congregational

Wollongong, NSW - Congregational

Year Built: 1857

Address: 33 Market Street, , Wollongong New South Wales, 2500

A notice board at the fron of the Church reads, The church building was opened on 6th August, 1857. Before this, the Congregational fellowship, which had been established in 1855, held services in a small wooden chapel around the corner in Kembla (Camla) St. The shop owner, David Jones (to whom a window is dedicated), and the owner of…

Read More

Wollongong, NSW - Greek Orthodox

Wollongong, NSW - Greek Orthodox

Address: 18 Stewart Street, , Wollongong New South Wales, 2500

Read More

Wollongong, NSW - Sacred Heart Chapel Catholic

Wollongong, NSW - Sacred Heart Chapel Catholic

Year Built: 1965

Address: 32 Stewart Street, , Wollongong New South Wales, 2500

The Church was designed by Gino Volpato and built by Sabemo and was opened in 1966. A low pitched gable roof embraces a rectangular nave with and entrance at the south end, ancillary rooms at the north end and broad verandas protecting the extensive glazing of the east and west side walls. The ceiling follows the roof lines, sloping…

Read More

Wollongong, NSW - St Michael's Anglican

Wollongong, NSW - St Michael's Anglican

Year Built: 1859

Address: 75 Church Street, , Wollongong New South Wales, 2500

The Church was designed by Edmund Blacket and built from 1858 to 1859. The Church Hall was built on the corner of the site in 1908. In 1967 some significant work was carried out to the church buildings. Funded by the lease of the service station, the most obvious change was the blonde brick kindergarten extension to the 1925 hall,…

Read More

Wollongong, NSW - Uniting

Wollongong, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1882

Address: 127 Crown Street, , Wollongong New South Wales, 2500

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist Church. Of neo-gothic design and built of sandstone, the Church was opened in 1882. A Foundation stone reads, " This tablet was set by Mr J.M. Staff at the Official opening of this porch 30th August 1930".

Read More

Wolumla, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Wolumla, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 15 Bega Street, , Wolumla New South Wales, 2550

Read More

Wondunna, QLD - St John's Anglican

Wondunna, QLD - St John's Anglican

Address: Doolong Road, , Wondunna Queensland, 4655

Read More

Wonthaggi North, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Wonthaggi North, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Address: 149 McKenzie Street, , Wonthaggi North Victoria, 3995

The church at North Wonthaggi was originally located at Dudley. On October 1", 1928 a meeting was held to form the North Wonthaggi Methodist Trust under the leadership of Rev A Geddes as Chairman. At this meeting it was moved that application be made to purchase a block of land in North Wonthaggi with the view to moving the Church. ) On…

Read More

Wonthaggi, VIC - Baptist

Wonthaggi, VIC - Baptist

Address: 2 Broome Crescent, , Wonthaggi Victoria, 3995

Read More

Wonthaggi, VIC - St George's Anglican

Wonthaggi, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: 2 Broome Crescent, , Wonthaggi Victoria, 3995

The earliest recorded minutes state that Reverend Rogers conducted the first opening service on June 19th 1910. The church was licensed in March 1911. On May 15th the First Rectory organ was purchased for twenty-eight pounds and the church was named St George's. A loan of 500 pounds from a member of our church in Melbourne [as stated…

Read More

Wonthaggi, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Wonthaggi, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1977

Address: Dowling Street, , Wonthaggi Victoria, 3995

The first Catholic Church in what is now the Parish of Wonthaggi was built on land near the junction of Heslop's Road and the main road to Melbourne. Prior to this priests would travel from Dandenong to say mass and minister to Catholic settlers in homes or other shelters. In 1911 plans were produced for the first church by Mr C.J. Rice…

Read More

Wonthaggi, VIC - Uniting

Wonthaggi, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Edgar Street & Broome Cres, , Wonthaggi Victoria, 3995

Formerly St Andrews Presbyterian Church. Reverend Crighton Barr the Moderator of the Presbyterian Church was to open the Church. In 1910 it was declared as a Home Mission under Rev George Raff. By 1912 a Church building had been erected. In 1911 the name of the circuit changed to Kilcunda and Powlett River Circuit with churches at…

Read More

Wood Wood, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Wood Wood, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1939

Address: 3534 Murray Valley Highway, , Wood Wood Victoria, 3596

This Church was originally located at Ultima. An Historical plaque reads, " In early 1930, Mr Gelinger and the community identified the need for a church. Mt Tillig from Woorinen was the driving force behind the construction and working bees. In 1939 the Wood Wood Methodist Church opened and was dedicated to the memory of Mr Gelinger.…

Read More

Woodanilling, WA - Baptist

Woodanilling, WA - Baptist

Year Built: 1908

Address: 30 Robinson Road, , Woodanilling Western Australia, 6316

The foundation stone was laid on the southern wall by HO Beeck on 12/2/1908 with other signatories being William Kennedy (pastor) and B Hobart (Secretary). The stone church has a corrugated galvanised iron steep pitched roof. The entrance porch which faces Robinson Road is made of stone and brick with turrets at the top. Three long…

Read More

Woodbridge, TAS - St Simon and St Jude Anglican

Woodbridge, TAS - St Simon and St Jude Anglican

Address: Corner Channel Highway & Granquist Road, , Woodbridge Tasmania, 7162

Read More

Woodbridge, TAS - Uniting

Woodbridge, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1859

Address: Channel Highway, , Woodbridge Tasmania, 7162

A Methodist chapel was first built in 1859 on land donated by Mr Joseph Davies. All denominations used the church until the Church of England decided to build their own. That was to be St Simonds and St Jude. The Wesleyans continued to use the chapel until 1897 when it was burnt in a bushfire. After the fire a Mr George Miles gave the…

Read More

Woodend, VIC - St Ambrose Catholic

Woodend, VIC - St Ambrose Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: 16 Templeton Street, , Woodend Victoria, 3442

Initially Woodend's Catholic residents were served by St. Mary's Mission in Kyneton under the guidence of Rev. Fr. Stack. He was the first resident priest appointed in 1853 and was responsible for an area which extended from Macedon to mid-way between Kyneton and Bendigo and from Trentham to Redesdale. The first Church was constructed…

Read More

Woodend, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Woodend, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1910

Address: 37 Forest Street, , Woodend Victoria, 3442

The first Church service was held on October 21 1860 in the home of a Church person. The first wooden church was on the hill adjacent to St Mary's and was opened in 1861. A Foundation stone reads, "9 Apr 1910 by Dr J F Anderson, opened as Presbyterian, became Uniting 1977".

Read More

Woodend, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Woodend, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 15 Buckland Street, , Woodend Victoria, 3442

In 1864 a decision was made to replace the old wooden Church building with a more substantial bluestone building built in the Gothic Revival style. It was to be constructed of stone with walls 2 foot thick. Purvis and Co were the builders at a cost of £370. The roof of is vaulted utilising a simple King Post system. There are three…

Read More

Woodlands, WA - Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic

Woodlands, WA - Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic

Address: 17 Angelico Street, , Woodlands Western Australia, 6018

Read More

Woodridge, QLD - St Paul's Anglican Catholic

Woodridge, QLD - St Paul's Anglican Catholic

Address: 3772 Mt Lindesay Highway, , Woodridge Queensland, 4125

Read More

Woodsdale, TAS - St Matthias Anglican

Woodsdale, TAS - St Matthias Anglican

Address: 2265 Buckland Road, , Woodsdale Tasmania, 7120

Read More

Woodstock, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Woodstock, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Address: 19 Parkes Street, , Woodstock New South Wales, 2793

Read More

Woodstock, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Woodstock, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 10 Rankin Street, , Woodstock New South Wales, 2793

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was laid by Mrs H. Glasson May 30th 1904". The Right Reverend Dr. Charles Cambridge M.A. D.D., 2nd Bishop of Bathurst, consecrated the Church on August 14, 1904. The building contractor was Mr. Ennis of Bathurst and the architect was Mr. J. J. Copeman.

Read More

Woodstock, NSW - Unknown

Woodstock, NSW - Unknown

Address: 47 Carrington Street, , Woodstock New South Wales, 2793

Read More

Woodville, SA - St Margaret of Scotland Anglican

Woodville, SA - St Margaret of Scotland Anglican

Address: 739 Port Road, , Woodville South Australia, 5011

Read More

Woodville, SA - Uniting

Woodville, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: 44 Woodville Road, , Woodville South Australia, 5011

The Woodville Wesleyan Mission was organised in 1876 as part of the Port Adelaide Circuit. Services were initially held in the York (now Kilkenny) Rechabite Hall. Local landowner, Captain Henry Simpson, donated a portion of his land of Woodville Road so that a church could be built. The first church was constructed in 1877 using iron…

Read More

Woolgoolga, NSW - Northern Beaches Anglican

Woolgoolga, NSW - Northern Beaches Anglican

Year Built: 1983

Address: 19 Scarborough Street, , Woolgoolga New South Wales, 2456

The original St Augustine's was built on the site of the present Rectory and Church. The land was said to have been given for the purpose by a Woolgoolga citizen. An important addition to the village in the late 1890s was St Augustine's Anglican Church. Although 1902 is given elsewhere as its date of construction church documents…

Read More