Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: 79 Main Street, , Merimbula New South Wales, 2548
Father Patrick Slattery was appointed to the Eden district in 1865 and Wyndham was one of his areas of service where he held Mass in the homes of the Love or Power families. It was not till 1897 that the contract to build a wooden church was let to J.Koerber and the work was completed in 1898. The Schafer family donated the picture of the…
Year Built: 1881
Address: 9 Vennacher Street, , Merriwa New South Wales, 2329
The first Catholic church in town dates from 1858. The current Church was built in 1879-81 to a design by J.W. Pender, with extensions in 1938 which cost over £5,000. The Freemans Journal of 25 June 1881 records "the new Catholic Church at Merriwa was solemnly blessed and opened on Sunday week by his Lordship the Bishop of Armidale…
Year Built: 1963
Address: 50 Redondo Avenue, , Miami Queensland, 4220
A plaque reads, The Calvary War Memorial Catholic Church erected to the memory of the men and women who gave their lives in the service of their country. Opened on the 22nd December 1963 by + James Archbishop of Brisbane".
Address: Corner Church & Morris Streets, , Minyip Victoria, 3392
On 5 October 1875 Fr P.D. Moore came to Minyip and performed the first real Mass for the area. He took the opportunity not only to Baptise the son of James and Mary O'Callaghan but he also chaired a meeting of locals with the intention of establishing a church for the Minyip and Murtoa area. Architect Michael Ryan of Horsham was…
Year Built: 1965
Address: 33 Alexander Street, , Mirani Queensland, 4754
The first church was opened in 1901. A plaque reads, " Immaculate Conception Memorial Church blessed and opened 21st November 1965 - Right Rev Monsignor D.G. Tiernan RI - Vicor General Representing His Lordship the Bishop of Rockhampton Most Reverend Francis R. Rush D.D. - Father E.H. Fraher P.P. Alan Ferrier Architect Father R. Cullinane…
Year Built: 1959
Address: 490 Whitehorse Road, , Mitcham Victoria, 3132
In order to help the first Catholic families and to attend to their spiritual needs, Fr. William Mason Finn, who had a horse, travelled from the district of Warringal (now Heidelberg) and called on the families he knew to be Catholics, His parish extended from Warringal to the foothills of Mount Dandenong. One of the earliest priests…
Year Built: 1970
Address: 2 Wirraway Street, , Moe Victoria, 3825
The first St Keiran's stood on a block of land on the higher eastern side of the George and Anzac Streets and was blessed on 16 December 1900. A Foundation stone was laid on 9 August 1970 by his Lordship the Most Reverend Arthur Francis Fox D.D. Bishop of Sale. The cost was just over $67,000, is large enough to see 500 people and was…
Year Built: 1954
Address: 24 Hopkins Street, , Moonah Tasmania, 7009
The area, New Town to Bridgewater was part of St. Mary's Cathedral Parish until Archbishop W. Hayden made Moonah a parish in 1931. Catholics formerly went to Mass in those times, either to Sacred Heart Church, New Town (built in 1880), or to old St. John the Baptist Church, Main Road, Glenorchy, which was blessed and opened by Bishop…
Year Built: 1869
Address: 1 Robert Street, , Moonta South Australia, 5558
A solid building, with limestone walls and iron roof. The foundation stone for this Church was laid by Bishop Shiel on 11 July 1869 and the Church was opened on 12 December 1869. It remains as built, except for the addition of a vestry to the front of the building.
Year Built: 1888
Address: 5455-5465 Goulburn Valley Highway, , Moorilin Victoria, 3610
A timber church and school existed on this site in 1872; the land had been donated by the local farmer, Michael Kearney. The existing St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church was erected in 1888, with the foundation stone laid by Dr Reville, Co-adjudicator and Bishop of Sandhurst, on 19 April 1888. The builder was a Mr McKenzie. The current…
Year Built: 1959
Address: 39 Boston Street, , Moree New South Wales, 2400
A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. Church of St Francis Xavier solemnly Blessed and dedicated 15th March 1959 by Most Reverend Bishop E.J. Doody D.D. Rt Rev Mgr L.J. O'Reilly P.P. Foundations of earlier Church preserved".
Year Built: 1971
Address: 3 Venning Street, , Morphett Vale South Australia, 5162
The first Roman Catholic Church erected in South Australia was St Mary's, Morphett Vale, on a site given by Mr A Anderson. It was dedicated by Bishop Murray on 8 December 1844. Built of local stone, the foundation stone was laid July 1845, opened 1846. Nave and chancel erected about twenty years later. The roof is now corrugated…
Year Built: 1970
Address: Commercial Road, , Morwell Victoria, 3840
In 1879 three Catholic residents, Edmond Kelleher, hotel keeper, Timothy O'Connor, labourer and Edward Crinigan, farmer, purchased three adjoining allotments at Section 5 of Robinson's survey for the total cost of £6. The property had a frontage of 300 feet on the present George Street, with a depth of 250 feet to Elgin Street, now the…
Year Built: 1922
Address: 16 Balflour Street, , Mount Larcom Queensland, 4695
The Church was opened on Sunday 16 July 1922 by Bishop of Rockhampton Joseph Shiel. It was named for Our Lady of Mount Carmel. The land cost £64 and the church building cost £441.
Year Built: 1883
Address: Princes Highway, , Mount Moriac Victoria, 3240
In 1856 Fr Patrick Birmingham formerly of Fiery Creek was directed by Bishop Goold to reside at Mount Moriac with the charge of Colac. This continued for just one year when he left Melbourne and travelled to Sydney. Father Barrett took over his parish. In January 1856 a church site at Mt Moriac had been procured by land grant and by…
Year Built: 1873 - 1876
Address: 13 Church Street, , Mudgee New South Wales, 2850
The first Catholic Church in Mudgee was built near where the present presbytery now stands and was built of slabs with a bark roof in 1843 on the two acre site of Government granted land. The 2nd St Mary's was a stone church and was commenced in 1857 and in pursuance of the Governments policy to assist financially the building of all…
Year Built: 1963
Address: 27 Havelock Street, , Mulwala New South Wales, 2647
A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was blessed and laid in position on Sunday April 7th 1963 by Most Reverend Doctor F.A. Henschke Bishop of Wagga Wagga. Parish Priest Rev P. O'Connell".
Year Built: 1951
Address: 8 Bingeebeebra Road, , Mummulgum New South Wales, 2469
A Foundation stone reads, " The foundation stone of this Church of Our Lady of Fatima was solemnly blessed and laid by Most Rev P Farrelly D.D. Bishop of Lismore 8th July 1951. The Church is now in private hands.
Year Built: 1965
Address: 75 Ross River Road, , Mundingburra Queensland,
A Foundation stone reads, " The Foundation stone of this Church of the Most Holy Trinity was blessed and placed by the Most Rev H.E. Ryan D.D. Bishop of Townsville on 13th June 1965. In the Fourth Year of the Second Vatican Council".