Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: New South Wales, Denomination: Roman Catholic


Eugowra, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Eugowra, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: Pye Street, , Eugowra New South Wales, 2806

Read More

Finley, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Finley, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1904

Address: Corner Denison & Riverina Highway, , Finley New South Wales, 2713

The opening and blessing of the current church took place in 1904. The building was enlarged in 1919.

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole Catholic

Forbes, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole Catholic

Year Built: 1880

Address: 13 Johnson Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

There were two church buildings erected before the current one. The first was located in Camp street and the second was in Harold Street. Of Gothic Revival style the church was erected in 1880. The Architect was Edward Gell. A sanctuary was added in 1905 and a gallery in 1923.

Read More

Forestville, NSW - Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic

Forestville, NSW - Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic

Address: 9 Currie Road, , Forestville New South Wales, 2087

Read More

Freshwater, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Freshwater, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: 15 Johnson Street, , Freshwater New South Wales, 2096

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. Blessed and laid by Most Rev Dr Kelly Archbishop of Sydney Nov 20th 1921". A further foundation stone reads, " To Commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Parish of St John the Baptist Harbord Sunday November 18th 1990. Patrick Murphy First Bishop of Broken Bay".

Read More

Ganmain, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Ganmain, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 45 Langham Street, , Ganmain New South Wales, 2702

From the Daily Advertiser Wagga Wagga 23 June 1911-lt has been definitely decided to undertake the erection of a handsome new Catholic Church here very shortly. Mr. Kempton (of Kempton and Connelly, of Melbourne), architect, was in Ganmain during the week and as a result of a conference with Rev. Father Griffin, Messrs. L. Looney, J.…

Read More

Garah, NSW - Our Lady Help of Christians
Gerringong, NSW - Star of the Sea Catholic

Gerringong, NSW - Star of the Sea Catholic

Address: 166 Fern Street, , Gerringong New South Wales, 2534

The Church was established in 1882. A Foundation stone reads, " St Mary Star of the Sea Gerringong The Extended Church was dedicated by Most Reverend Philip Wilson D.D. J.C.L. 3rd Bishop of Wollongong Sunday August 11 1996. Patrick Kenna Parish Priest".

Read More

Geurie, NSW - Holy Name of Jesus Catholic

Geurie, NSW - Holy Name of Jesus Catholic

Year Built: 1905

Address: 57 Jennings Street, , Geurie New South Wales, 2831

A Foundation stone reads, " Laid by Dr Dunne Bishop of Bathurst June 18th 1905".

Read More

Gladesville, NSW - Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic

Gladesville, NSW - Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic

Address: 341 Victoria Road, , Gladesville New South Wales, 2111

An extract from the Church website reads, "The site chosen was on the corner of Victoria Road and Westminister Road where the Church and old school (now the Fr Gell Hall) is situated. Including a cottage, it was purchased for £3,177/15/11. The first part of the Church was completed and dedicated by Archbishop Kelly on October 13th, 1925…

Read More

Glebe, NSW - St James' Catholic

Glebe, NSW - St James' Catholic

Year Built: 1878

Address: 2 Woolley Street, , Glebe New South Wales, 2037

The Foundation stone was laid on 7 July 1877 by Archbishop Roger Bede Vaughan. By 1 September 1878, the church of St James, built in the Venetian Gothic style of Pyrmont stone and New Zealand kauri pine and glowing with stained glass, marble, majolica painted tiles, was ready and formally opened. The Architect was John Kirkpatrick.

Read More

Glen Innes, NSW St Patrick's Catholic

Glen Innes, NSW St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: 162 Meady Street, , Glen Innes New South Wales, 2370

In 1864 Dean Lynch laid the foundation stone for the church. The bluestone was supplied by supporter of Mr Regan, one Mr Patrick Dumphy who secured it from the area now dedicated as a park and adjoining the residence (at that time) of Mr J Priest. The present Church was designed in the Gothic style. The plan consists of a nave 72 feet…

Read More

Goolgowi, NSW - St John Vianney Catholic

Goolgowi, NSW - St John Vianney Catholic

Address: Stipa Street, , Goolgowi New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Gordon, NSW - St Francis Catholic

Gordon, NSW - St Francis Catholic

Address: 21 St Johns Avenue, , Gordon New South Wales, 2072

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Goulburn, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Address: 97 Lagoon Street, , Goulburn New South Wales, 2580

Five sisters of St Joseph arrived in Goulburn in 1882 and settled in a convent built in North Goulburn, establishing St Joseph’s primary and secondary schools. The north Goulburn parish thrived and the first church was replaced by the Church of Our Lady of Fatima. The Church was built in 1952 on the site of a former stone church of…

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - St Peter & Paul's Catholic Cathedral

Goulburn, NSW - St Peter & Paul's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1843

Address: Bourke Street, Goulburn, Goulburn New South Wales, 2580

The first Mass in the Goulburn District was celebrated by Father Therry in 1833 at Matt Healey's Inn (now called Riversdale). The second of the original southern N.S.W. missions was served by priests from Yass until Rev. Michael McGrath was appointed in 1840. The Cathedral was built in two stages and was constructed around the original…

Read More

Grafton, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Grafton, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1914

Address: 1 Victoria Street, , Grafton New South Wales,

The Church was destroyed by fire on April 29, 1913. Opened by Bishop O'Connor, of Armidale on Sunday, November 29, 1914, in the presence of church hierarchy from as far afield as Melbourne. Built of red brick and stucco facing is very handsome in its Gothic design, large in size, length and breadth and in the usual cruciform shape. The…

Read More

Graman, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Graman, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Address: 10 Graman Road, , Graman New South Wales, 2360

The Church has been in several private hands and was sold initially around 2013.

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Grenfell, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: Weddin Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

As early as 1838 when Yass was established as the first Ecclesiastical district in the interior of Australia, the whole area from Yass to Melbourne was served by a solitary dedicated priest. The first of these was Fr Brennan followed in 1839 by Fr Lovatt and in 1847 by Fr Magennis. In July 1884 Grenfell and Gooloogong were cut off…

Read More

Greystanes, NSW - Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic

Greystanes, NSW - Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic

Year Built: 1975

Address: 198 Old Prospect Road, , Greystanes New South Wales, 2145

The Church was built when Fr Roland Darmenia was Parish Priest. It was blessed and opened by His Eminence, Sir James Darcy Cardinal Freeman on 20th April, 1975. After extensive renovations it was solemnly dedicated by Bishop Bede Heather on 7th July, 1996.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Griffith, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: Warrambool Street, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

Read More

Grong Grong, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Grong Grong, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: Balaro Street, , Grong Grong New South Wales, 2652

The Church was completely destroyed by fire in 1917. The Church was re built between 1917 and 1922 and reopened in 1918 by His Lordship Dr Gallagher Bishop of Goulburn.

Read More

Gulgong, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Gulgong, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: Bayly Street, , Gulgong New South Wales, 2853

The Church was built in 1885 at a cost of £2250. The design is Flemish bonding on red brickwork. It replaced an earlier Catholic Church which was built during the town's first goldrush.

Read More

Gundagai, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Gundagai, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: 121 Sheridan Street, Gundagai, New South Wales, 2722

The church was built in 1885 which replaced an 1859 church opened by Rev. Michael McAlroy. The church is of neo-gothic style. The architect EC Manfred studied under Edmund Blacket who also designed the Church of England in Tumut, and the St Andrew’s Cathedral, George Street Sydney.

Read More

Gundaroo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Gundaroo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Harp & Morning Street, , Gundaroo New South Wales, 2620

Established in 1881.

Read More

Gungal, NSW - St Anthony of Padua Catholic

Gungal, NSW - St Anthony of Padua Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 2757 Golden Highway, , Gangul New South Wales, 2333

A plaque reads, "Celebrating the Centenary of St Anthony's Catholic Church 1911 - 2011".

Read More

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 1 Cullavin Street, , Gunning New South Wales, 2581

‘A rubblestone Catholic Church was built in 1860 under the leadership of Rev. Michael McAlroy of Yass. A resident priest, Father Gaffey was appointed in 1880, which established the parish and served other village churches at Collector, Breadalbane and Gurrundah. The Sisters of Mercy arrived in 1901 to conduct a school. They erected a new…

Read More

Guyra, NSW - St Mary of the Angles Catholic

Guyra, NSW - St Mary of the Angles Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: 47 Malpas Street, , Guyra New South Wales, 2365

A Foundation stone reads, " Church of St Mary the Angles - This stone was laid by the Right Rev Dr O'Connor Bishop of Armidale on the 15th March 1908".

Read More

Gymea, NSW - St Catherine Laboure Catholic

Gymea, NSW - St Catherine Laboure Catholic

Address: 123 Gymea Bay Road, , Sutherland New South Wales, 2227

The first Mass was celebrated at Gymea School of Arts in 1931.

Read More

Hanwood, NSW - St Anthony Catholic

Hanwood, NSW - St Anthony Catholic

Year Built: 1972

Address: Ash Street, , Hanwood New South Wales, 2680

Tiziano Forlico was the Architect/builder for the Church. It celebrated its 50th year anniversery in 2023. The Foundation stone was laid on 3 December 1972 by the Most Reverend F.P. Carroll D.D Bishop of Wagga Wagga.

Read More

Harden, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Harden, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Year Built: 1934

Address: Albury Street, , Harden New South Wales, 2587

The Foundation stone was laid on 17 June 1934 by the Bishop of Goulburn the Most Reverend John Barry D.D.

Read More

Harris Park, NSW - Our Lady of Lebanon Co Cathedral

Harris Park, NSW - Our Lady of Lebanon Co Cathedral

Address: 40 Alice Street, , Harris Park New South Wales, 2150

On the 10th of December 1972, Our Lady of Lebanon’s hall and school was blessed and officially opened. From December 1972 until 1978, the hall was used as a Church while the development of the Church complex continued. On August 6th 1978, the Church was officially opened and blessed by Archbishop Abdo Khalifé.

Read More

Harris Park, NSW - St Oliver Plunkett Catholic

Harris Park, NSW - St Oliver Plunkett Catholic

Year Built: 1929

Address: 35 Wigram Street, , Harris Park New South Wales, 2150

The Freemans Journal of 17 October 1929 described the laying of the foundation stone as thus, The building is of brick and is being built on a block of ground adjacent to the home of the Sisters of Mercy, who have their College at Parramatta. The ground, which is about three-quarters of an acre, was bought for £1254, and the building,…

Read More

Hartley, NSW - St Bernard's Catholic

Hartley, NSW - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1848

Address: Old Great Western Highway, , Hartley New South Wales, 2790

A historical plate reads, Completed in c1848, the Church was funded by popular subscription, led by two prominent Irish families of the Hartley district: the Finns and the Grants. Designed and built by Alexander Binning, the church is made from sandstone sourced from a quarry at South Bowenfels, near Lithgow. Prior to the construction…

Read More

Haymarket, NSW - St Peter Julian Catholic

Haymarket, NSW - St Peter Julian Catholic

Address: 641 George Street, , Haymarket New South Wales, 2000

Read More

Helensburgh, NSW - Holy Cross Catholic

Helensburgh, NSW - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1986

Address: 4 McMillan Street, , Helensburgh New South Wales, 2508

From the Churches website an extract reads, "In an old ledger of the Bulli Parish on 13 April 1893 the opening of the Church of Holy Cross at Helensburgh was recorded. Construction took place in two stages, the first commencing in 1890. It is on record that the church cost approximately £150. It was a timber and weatherboard building on…

Read More

Holbrook, NSW - Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic

Holbrook, NSW - Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic

Address: Hume Highway, , Holbrook New South Wales, 2644

Additions to the church was made in 1955 and blessed by the Most Rev F.A. Hanschke on 18 December.

Read More

Howlong, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Howlong, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Address: 68 Pell Street, , Howlong New South Wales, 2643

A Foundation stone reads, " St Brigid's Church blessed and opened by The Most Reverend F.A. Henschke DD Bishop of Wagga 22nd July 1956 Rev T. Shanley Pastor".

Read More

Hoxton Park, NSW - Good Shepherd Catholic

Hoxton Park, NSW - Good Shepherd Catholic

Address: 21 Twentieth Avenue, , Hoxton Park New South Wales, 2171

Read More

Hunters Hill, NSW - Holy Name of Mary Catholic

Hunters Hill, NSW - Holy Name of Mary Catholic

Year Built: 1867

Address: 3 Mary Street, , Hunters Hill New South Wales, 2110

The church was originally designed to be the chapel of the adjacent Villa Maria Monastery. The foundation stone was blessed by the Archbishop of Sydney and laid on 15 September, 1867. In the early 1970s and again in 1988 work was carried out to the interior of the church to accommodate the liturgical reforms of the Second Vatican Council.…

Read More