Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia


Kingston SE, SA - Uniting

Kingston SE, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner McFarlane & Holland Streets, , Kingston SE South Australia, 5275

The Church was opened in 1887.

Read More

Klemzig, SA - Uniting

Klemzig, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 85 Og Road, , Klemzig South Australia, 5087

A Foundation stone was laid on 6 July 1929 by L.D. Caris Esq. The Foundation stone for the Church Hall was laid on 10 December 1955 by C.J. Heading Esq.

Read More

Koolunga, SA - St John's Anglican

Koolunga, SA - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Services were first held in the Schoolroom. The old Millhouse was aquired in 1879 and this was used as the Church from that year to 1894. The Church was dedicated 2nd September 1894. The Foundation stone of the Rectory was laid on 7 November 1882 by Miss Rose Maslin of Bundaleer.

Read More

Largs Bay, SA - St Peter's Lutheran
Laura, SA - Baptist

Laura, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1875

Address: Victoria Street, , Laura South Australia, 5480

The Foundation stone was laid in 1875. The church building may have been sold in 2011.

Read More

Laura, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Laura, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Year Built: 1880

Address: Main Street, , Laura South Australia, 5480

The Lutheran's of Laura first attended church at Appila. By the early 1880's several more Lutheran families had moved into Laura and this prompted Pastor Kaibel of Appila to conduct services there. By 1891 there were 19 communicant members at Laura and by 1903 the Laura families severed their ties with the Appila congregation. Services…

Read More

Laura, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Laura, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: 4 North Terrace, , Laura South Australia, 5480

The town of Laura was surveyed in 1871 and in August 1873, the church acquired Blocks 1 and 3 at £17 Ten Shillings each; portion of Block I is still retained, thereon being erected the Church of St. John and the Parish Hall. The first known church of England service in Laura was conducted by the Rev. Hartley Williams, a missionary from…

Read More

Leabrook, SA - Knightsbridge Baptist

Leabrook, SA - Knightsbridge Baptist

Address: 455 Glynburn Road, , Leabrook South Australia, 5068

In 1884 God led a group of local Christians to form a Baptist church in what was then called Knightsbridge (now part of the suburb Leabrook in the Burnside Council area), a developing eastern suburb on the fringe of Adelaide, near the Mount Lofty Ranges. The church was designed by the architect David Williams of the well known firm…

Read More

Leigh Creek, SA - Good Shepherd Lutheran
Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1886

Address: Immanuel Way, , Light Pass South Australia, 5355

The first church was opened and dedicated on 29 November 1886. The tower was erected in 1930. The Church hall was opened in 1949.

Read More

Light Pass, SA - Straight Gate Lutheran

Light Pass, SA - Straight Gate Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: Light Pass Road, , Light Pass South Australia, 5355

This church was formed by a breakaway group in 1860 from the Immanuel Light Pass Lutheran Church. This church is just 200m from the Immanuel Church. Their first church was dedicated in 1861. A new church replaced the original church and the foundation stone of that church was laid on 14 August 1960. The Tower was erected in 1887 and…

Read More

Lochiel, SA - Uniting

Lochiel, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: Frances Street, , Lochiel South Australia, 5510

The Church was built in 1901. The Foundation stone was laid on 2 September 1901 by Mrs S Cray.

Read More

Loxton, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Loxton, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1925

Address: 1B Falcon Ave,, , Loxton South Australia, 5031

The Church was first set up in 1897 by E.J.P. Kaesler before the town of Loxton was formally planned. It originally met for worship in the houses of John Drabsch of Loxton and A Stanitzki of Bookpurnong. In 1904, a stone church measuring 40ft x 20ft x 14ft (12.2m x 6.1m x 4.27m) at a cost of 180.00 having a seating capacity of 150 was…

Read More

Lucindale, SA - St Andrew's Anglican

Lucindale, SA - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1963

Address: Wattle Drive, , Lucindale South Australia, 5272

A Foundation stone reads, "To the glory of God, this stone was laid by Mrs R.J. Legoe 28 July 1963."

Read More

Lucindale, SA - St Dominic's Catholic

Lucindale, SA - St Dominic's Catholic

Address: Willow Avenue, , Lucindale South Australia, 5272

Read More

Lucindale, SA - Uniting

Lucindale, SA - Uniting

Address: Urrbrae Avenue, , Lucindale South Australia, 5272

Read More

Lyndoch, SA - Baptist

Lyndoch, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1862

Address: 9 Kauffman Avenue, , Lyndoch South Australia, 5351

The church was built in 1862 and opened on 31 August of that year. The Lyndoch Baptist Congregation was formed in 1859, but their original place of worship outside the township was sold to the St Jakobi Lutheran Congregation in 1862 and the present church built at a cost of £310. During the early years of worship George Fife Ang as…

Read More

Lyndoch, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Lyndoch, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Corner Altona Road & Barossa Valley Way, , Lyndoch South Australia, 5351

Land for this church was set aside as a gift from the South Australian Company which completed the survey of the Lyndoch Valley in 1839. One acre of land was donated to the Church of England for a church and cemetery, but before the building was finished the area was flooded and another site had to be found. Another grant of land in…

Read More

Lyndoch, SA - St Jacob's Lutheran

Lyndoch, SA - St Jacob's Lutheran

Year Built: 1913

Address: Lyndoch Valley Road, , Lyndoch South Australia, 5351

The Foundation stone was laid on 18 September 1913 by Pastor E Beorg. This complex consists of two church buildings, the early one was constructed for the Baptists in 1859 and purchased by the Lutherans in 1867 when they moved from Hoffnungstahl. This was used as a church and school until 1913 when the adjacent church was built.…

Read More

Lyndoch, SA - St John's Lutheran

Lyndoch, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: 3 Margaret Street, , Lyndoch South Australia, 5351

Read More

Magill, SA - Church of Christ

Magill, SA - Church of Christ

Address: 3 Koongarra Avenue, , Magill South Australia, 5072

Read More

Magill, SA - Pilgrim Lutheran

Magill, SA - Pilgrim Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: 32 Edward Street, , Magill South Australia, 5072

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 December 1953 by Pastor O.H. Adler.

Read More

Magill, SA - St George's Anglican

Magill, SA - St George's Anglican

Address: 43 St Bernards Road, , Magill South Australia, 5072

The land on which the Church was built was given by John Finlay Duff, Captain of the Barque Africaine. The Church has the distinction of being the first Anglican Church consecrated in the colony of South Australia. It was performed by Bishop Augustus Short on 30 January 1848, within weeks of his arrival in South Australia. The…

Read More

Maitland, SA - St Bartholomew's Catholic

Maitland, SA - St Bartholomew's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: 15 Walter Street, , Maitland South Australia, 5573

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 May 1875 and a dedication service followed on December 5 conducted by the Bishop of Adelaide to most Reverend C.A. Reynolds. In July 1884 the walls were plastered a porch, vestry and gallery added.

Read More

Maitland, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Maitland, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1873

Address: Caroline Street, , Maitland South Australia, 5573

From 1873 church services were held at Ynoo at the Government well, in local homes and huts. The following year saw the church foundation stone laid on 8 December by Mrs S Rogers. A porch as Vestry were added in 1901. The church was upgraded and re built in 1976 when unique stained glass windows were added.

Read More

Maitland, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Maitland, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: 31 Clinton Road, , Maitland South Australia, 5573

Read More

Maitland, SA - Uniting

Maitland, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1875

Address: 59 Robert Street, , Maitland South Australia, 5573

Originally a Wesleyan Methodist church, the Church was opened on Christmas Day 1875. It was built by J Swann and the mason was C Hicks. It cost 800.00. In 1904 the Sunday school hall was built at the rear of the church. A foundation stone attached to that part of the building was laid on 2 November 1904 by Mrs E Greenslade. A porch was…

Read More

Malvern, SA - Uniting

Malvern, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1891

Address: 44 Marlborough Street, , Malvern South Australia, 5061

The Wesleyan Methodist's of South Australia built a church in King William Road Unley in 1881. At the beginning of 1891, Malvern Church had been little more than a vision in the minds of a group of church leaders from Pine Street and Unley. The plans of F. W. Dancker gave some type of substance to their hopes, and the support they…

Read More

Mannum, SA - Baptist

Mannum, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1956

Address: William Street, , Mannum South Australia, 5238

The Church is constructed of local stone. A foundation stone was laid on the rear addition to the church on 3 June 1956 by Pastor J Doehler.

Read More

Mannum, SA - Lutheran

Mannum, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1935

Address: Cliff Street, , Mannum South Australia, 5238

There is a foundation stone laid on 25 August 1935. The hall was erected in 1960.

Read More

Mannum, SA - St Andrew's Anglican

Mannum, SA - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: Adelaide Road, , Mannum South Australia, 5238

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 May 1910 by the Venerable Archdeacon Bussell.

Read More

Mannum, SA - Uniting

Mannum, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: Walker Avenue, , Mannum South Australia, 5238

Formerly a Methodist church. A Foundation stone was laid on 19 June 1954 by Rev G.S. Wellington President of the Conference.

Read More

Marananga, SA - St Michael's Gnadenfrei Lutheran

Marananga, SA - St Michael's Gnadenfrei Lutheran

Address: Seppelesfield Road, , Marananga South Australia, 5355

The area was originally called Salt Creek. It was also known as Gnadenfrei before 1918 when names of "enemy origin" were changed to sound less German. The Gnadenfrei Lutheran Church was established, then a German school was established in 1879. Originally aligned with the Langmeil congregation, the German settlers formed their own…

Read More

Marion, SA - Church of Christ

Marion, SA - Church of Christ

Address: Alawoona Avenue, , Marion South Australia, 5043

Read More

Marion, SA - Methodist Wesleyan Chapel

Marion, SA - Methodist Wesleyan Chapel

Year Built: 1867

Address: Township Road, , Marion South Australia, 5043

The first Methodist service was held in the home of Henry and Ann Shearing. Henry donated the land the church is built on. The front 16 feet was added in 1867. The foundation stone was laid on 15 July 1862 and the opening ceremony occurred on 14 December 1862, led by the Reverend Mr Watsford. In 1911 the Church was completely…

Read More

Marion, SA - Uniting

Marion, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1965

Address: Corner Township Road & Church Crescent, , Marion South Australia, 5043

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1965 by Mr and Mrs Lawrence Western.

Read More

Maylands, SA - Church of Christ

Maylands, SA - Church of Christ

Address: 157 Port Rush Road, , Maylands South Australia, 5069

The Maylands Church of Christ in South Australia grew out of the Janet Street (Maylands) Mission meetings.

Read More

McLaren Vale, SA - Congregational (Former)

McLaren Vale, SA - Congregational (Former)

Year Built: 1860

The laying of the Foundation stone took place on 27 July 1860 and the church opened on 20 February 1861. It was once a a unique performance space for acoustic music now The Sabella Cellar Door opened in 2019.

Read More

McLaren Vale, SA - St Margaret's Anglican

McLaren Vale, SA - St Margaret's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Main Road, , McLaren Vale South Australia, 5171

The land was donated by Thomas Hardy in 1905 formerly vineyards owned by William Hobcroft. The Foundation stone was laid on 19 June 1911by Thomas Hardy and the Church was dedicated on 21 November 1911. The Nave built of clay and limestone was added in 1968 to the memory of A.C. and E.H. Johnston.

Read More

McLaren Vale, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

McLaren Vale, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1934

Address: 6 Aldersey Street, , McLaren Vale South Australia, 5171

The present Lutheran congregation had its beginnings a few kilometres away at Willunga, in a railway cottage the home of the Constable family. Services were quarterly with the first happening on 10 June 1934. The adhoc nature of services continued up to and including the duration of WW2 as did the support of visiting Pastors. A block…

Read More