Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Roman Catholic


Bethanga, VIC - St Francis Catholic (Former)

Bethanga, VIC - St Francis Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1886

Address: Bridge Street, , Bethanga Victoria, 3691

The first church was built in 1886. In 1917 Revd Dr Flynn decided the location of the church was not appropriate.The aged, the infirm and ill could not access the Church because of the steepness and parishioners who had to walk to Mass found it almost impossible to attend area became wet and muddy. On the 17th October 1917 the…

Read More

Bethunga, VIC - St Francis Catholic (Former)

Bethunga, VIC - St Francis Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1918

Address: 6 Bridge Street, , Bethunga Victoria, 3691

The Church was up for sale in 2023.

Read More

Beulah, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Beulah, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 8 Dingwell Street, , Beulah Victoria, 3395

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This Church was solemnly blessed and opened by Monsignor L. Conway V.G. on Sunday 6th October 1963. Rev M. Philbin P.P. JW Henry & Assoc Architects P&A Coutts Builder".

Read More

Birchip, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Birchip, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 2 Corack Road, , Birchip Victoria, 3483

Read More

Blackburn North, VIC - St Philip's Catholic

Blackburn North, VIC - St Philip's Catholic

Address: 60 Junction Road, , Blackburn North Victoria, 3130

Read More

Blackburn South, VIC - St Luke the Evangelist Catholic

Blackburn South, VIC - St Luke the Evangelist Catholic

Year Built: 1999

Address: 46 Orchard Grove, , Blackburn South Victoria, 3130

A wall plaque reads, " This Church was blessed by Most Reverend T. F. Little D.D. KBE Archbishop of Melbourne on the Feast of St Luke October 18 1999".

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Blackburn, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Address: 57 Central Road, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

Read More

Blampied, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (Former)

Blampied, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1869

Address: 3478 Midland Highway, , Blampied Victoria, 3364

Of Gothic revival and constructed of bluestone the Church consists of a nave of five bays, a large chancel and lateral sacristies with a double gable, not often seen on country churches. The Church was sold in 2021.

Read More

Boort, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Boort, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1928

Address: 110 Lake View Street, , Boort Victoria, 3537

Catholic services were held in homes and halls in the district from 1865 by priests visiting from Inglewood, and from 1876, St. Arnaud. The first church, a wooden building, was built in Boort in the 1890s. A new building was erected in the 1920s with funds raised largely through a Queen Competition. The church was designed by J.…

Read More

Boronia, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Boronia, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 212 Boronia Road, , Boronia Victoria, 3155

Read More

Box Hill North, VIC - St Clare's Catholic

Box Hill North, VIC - St Clare's Catholic

Address: 138 Woodhouse Grove, , Box Hill North Victoria, 3129

Founding of St Clare's North Box Hill was in 1957.

Read More

Box Hill South, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Catholic

Box Hill South, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Catholic

Address: 299 Elgar Road, , Box Hill South Victoria, 3128

In 1952, the property at the corner of Bentley and Erasmus Streets was purchased by Fr Timothy Fitzpatrick, Parish Priest of Our Holy Redeemer Parish, Surrey Hills. This property consisted of a large two storey house, a coach house and stable, and an acre and a half of land. In 1954, the coach house and stable were converted into the…

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Box Hill, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1926

Address: Corner Dorking & Whitehorse Roads, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The Foundation stone was laid by the most Reverend D Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne on 11 July 1926.

Read More

Braybrook, VIC - Christ the King Catholic

Braybrook, VIC - Christ the King Catholic

Address: 65 Churchill Avenue, , Braybrook Victoria, 3019

Read More

Bridgewater on Loddon, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Bridgewater on Loddon, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1926

Address: 50 Eldon Street, , Bridgewater on Loddon Victoria, 3516

A Foundation stone read, "A.M.D.G. This stone was laid by the Right Rev John McCarthy DD Bishop of Sandhurst on the 17th Jan 1926 Rev J Duggan Pastor".

Read More

Bright, VIC - Our Lady of the Snows Catholic

Bright, VIC - Our Lady of the Snows Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: Coronation Avenue, , Bright Victoria, 3741

A Foundation stone reads, " Our Lady of the Snows, This Church was consecrated by The Most Rev Francis Thomas DD BA DOEC Bishop of Geraldton W.A. on the 1st May 1966 in the presence of The Most Rev Bernard D. Stewart DD LLB Bishop of Sandhurst Rev B.A. Thomas P.P.".

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Joan of Arch Catholic

Brighton, VIC - St Joan of Arch Catholic

Year Built: 1938

Address: 118 New Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 November 1938 by the Most Reverend D Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne. The Architect was P.J. O'Connor.

Read More

Brunswick North, VIC - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Brunswick North, VIC - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: 51 Mitchell Street, , Brunswick North Victoria, 3056

St Margaret Mary's was originally part of the parish of St Ambrose in Brunswick. It was first known as St Matthew's and was established in 1913. The original St Matthew's church, built the previous year, served as a church, school and hall. A Foundation stone reads, " A.O.D.G. To the worship of God under the invocation of Saint…

Read More

Brunswick West, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Brunswick West, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: 183 Hope Street, , Brunswick West Victoria, 3055

The West Brunswick Parish was established by Archbishop Thomas Joseph Carr in 1913, appointing Father C. Sheahan as the first Parish Priest. The present Church is the second building to stand on the site. Work on the current Church commenced in 1949. The Church was built in two sections, the first part being built behind and over the…

Read More

Bryneside, VIC - Catholic

Bryneside, VIC - Catholic

Address: Brewer Road, , Byrneside Victoria, 3617

Read More

Buchan, VIC - St Dymphnas Catholic

Buchan, VIC - St Dymphnas Catholic

Address: Woodgates Road, , Buchan Victoria, 3885

Read More

Bulleen, VIC - St Clement of Rome Catholic

Bulleen, VIC - St Clement of Rome Catholic

Year Built: 1962

Address: Egan Drive, , Bulleen Victoria, 3105

Construction of the present church commenced in 1962.

Read More

Bungaree, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Bungaree, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1910

Address: 184 Bungaree Wallace Road, , Bungaree Victoria, 3352

The Parish was established in 1890. A few years before in 1878 Dean Moore purchased a block of land for a church and school. This land now holds the Bungaree hall and some adjoining houses. The first recorded baptism in Bungaree was that of Ellena Rice performed by Fr J Cleary on 31 August 1890. When Fr Linane retired in 1965 Fr…

Read More

Burwood, VIC - St Benedict's Catholic

Burwood, VIC - St Benedict's Catholic

Year Built: 1957

Address: 301 Warrigal Road, , Burwood Victoria, 3125

The first Catholic Church in the Shire of Nunawading was built on land granted to the Catholic Church in 1854 at the north east corner of Warrigal (Boundary) and Riversdale (Moloneys) Roads. In July 1855 the Catholic Church applied for a building grant towards the estimated cost of £300 for a brick building with slate roof, and they…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Our Lady of Victories Catholic

Camberwell, VIC - Our Lady of Victories Catholic

Year Built: 1918

Address: 548 Burke Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The church is built of Barrabool stone, from Waurn Ponds, Geelong. The most prominent external feature is the cupola – the rounded copper dome adorning the church roof. The foundation stone was laid on 25 May 1913, replacing an earlier church-school building dedicated to St John Berchman opened in 1887. The cost of the building was…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Camberwell, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Year Built: 1888

Address: 595 Riversdale Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The foundation stone was laid on 7 January 1888 by James Mirams MLA and the building opened on 29 April of the same year. The architects were Loweish, Moorhouse and Figgis. The church was constructed from dark brown Hawthorn bricks in the Gothic style and cost £1,150 to erect. A memorial stone reads, " This tablet to commemorate the…

Read More

Caramut, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (Former)

Caramut, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (Former)

Address: 1 Richie Street, , Caramut Victoria, 3274

Read More

Carlton, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Carlton, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1899

Address: Cnr Rathdowne and Pelham Streets , , Carlton Victoria, 3053

The Church of the Sacred Heart replaced an earlier combined church and school, built in bluestone, known as St George's. The new church was opened and blessed by Archbishop Carr on 19 November 1899. The Architectual style is Renaissance. The Church consists of nave, side aisles, and side chapels. It is 170ft in length and 62ft across.…

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - St Anthony's Catholic

Carnegie, VIC - St Anthony's Catholic

Address: 172 Neerim Road, , Carnigie Victoria, 3163

Read More

Casterton, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Casterton, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 26 Robertson Street, , Casterton Victoria, 3311

The foundation of the church was laid on 7th February 1886. It was blessed on 7th November 1886 by Bishop Moore assisted by Fr Marshall and Fr Shine. The Gothic style brick church was 64 foot long and cost £3,000. Additions were made in 1918 at a cost of £500.

Read More

Castlemaine, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Castlemaine, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 78 Hargraves Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

The first temporary chapel was built in 1853. The wooden church remained in service until 1857 when plans for "a magnificent cathedral in the Elizabethan style" were announced. Frederick Poepel was chosen as the architect, and the first stone laid on September 13th 1857..

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic

Caulfield South, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1937

Address: 707 Glenhuntly Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

Masses were first offered by Father O'Brien in the court room of the Caulfield Town Hall. The design is in the Gothic style and incorporates the cross into the design of the churches. Holy Cross was built in this manner, with a central nave measuring 28 metres in length and 11 metres in width. The two side porches at the altar end…

Read More

Cerberus, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Cerberus, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Address: Nelson Road HMAS, , Cerberus Victoria, 3920

Our Lady Star of the Sea Memorial Chapel serving the Royal Australian Navy within HMAS CERBERUS, Victoria. Opened in 1948 by Archbishop Daniel Mannix. It features stained glass windows donated by the American singer/actor Bing Crosby on a visit by him in the 1950's.

Read More

Charlton, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Charlton, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1993

Address: 7 Learmouth Street, , Charlton Victoria, 3525

A Foundation stone reads, "St Joseph's Church Charlton was blessed and opened by Most Reverend Ronald Mulkeearns D.D. Bishop of Ballarat Sunday April 4th 1993. Fr Denis Dennehy Parish Priest. On this site stood the former St Joseph's Church blessed and opened by Bishop Joseph Higgins of Ballarat in September 1907 when Father Edward…

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic

Cheltenham, VIC - Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic

Address: 9 Centre Dandenong Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

Read More

Chiltern, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Chiltern, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 144 North Road, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683

A Church was opened in March 1872 with dimentions of 60 x 25 feet excluding the outer and inner sanctuary. It cost £1,200. The current Church building appears to have been built in 1966. Smith and Tracey of Melbourne were the architects of the current Church and N. & M. O'Neil of Wodonga the building contractor. The church cost $54,000…

Read More

Clarendon, VIC - St Mary's Catholic (Former)

Clarendon, VIC - St Mary's Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1871

Address: 6301 Midland Highway, , Clarendon Victoria, 3352

Built in 1871 the church is composed of rendered stone, with Lal Lal white brick facings, is 43ft long by 20ft wide, including a chancel, and cost about £500.

Read More

Clarinda, VIC - St Andrew's Catholic

Clarinda, VIC - St Andrew's Catholic

Year Built: 1989

Address: 76 Springs Road, , Clarinda Victoria, 3169

A Foundation stone reads. " This church of St Andrews was officially blessed and opened by The Most Reverend T.F. Little Archbishop of Melbourne date 8th December 1989 Father Martin Dixon Parish Priest. CD Mason Constructions Pty Ltd Building Contractor Geoffrey Hall Forman Paul Archibald Pty Ltd Architect Enrico Marrone Project…

Read More

Clayton, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Clayton, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Address: 258 Clayton Road, , Clayton Victoria, 3168

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - Croatian Catholic

Clifton Hill, VIC - Croatian Catholic

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Hodgkinson & Wellington Streets, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

The foundation stone of this former Wesleyan Church, was laid on 13 December 1886. The parsonage in Hodgkinson Street was built in 1881. Due to low attendances, the Wesleyan Church closed down in October 1961.

Read More