Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Bowral, NSW - St Simon and St Judes Anglican

Bowral, NSW - St Simon and St Judes Anglican

Address: 38 Bendooley Street, , Bowral New South Wales, 2576

The Church has an unusual design unlike the regular conventional form of church that it is sure to attract attention. It was a style regarded as Saxon or Norman with more subdued light in the short nave and chancels, but with a central tower which had big windows The Architect was Edmund Blacket.

Read More

Bowral, NSW - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Bowral, NSW - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Year Built: 1986

Address: 2 Bendooley Street, , Bowral New South Wales, 2576

A plaque reads, St Thomas Aquinas Church Bowral dedicated by the Bishop of Wollongong the Most Reverend William E. Murray DD Dsc. STOC on 9th November 1986 Parish Priest: Father John Higgins PP. Builder: Mr. Barry Howard Design and Project Manager: Mr. -Frank McCormack - Volunteers: with thanks to all."

Read More

Bowral, NSW - Uniting

Bowral, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Bendooley Street, , Bowral New South Wales, 2576

The early Wesleyans soon took steps to establish a formal place of worship. The firsst church was a simple and unpretentious building of wood and iron had been built on land fronting Bendooley Street, Bowral, and been opened debt-free by that red-letter day, 18th September, 1864. The second church, now used as a Sunday School, on the…

Read More

Box Hill North, VIC - St Clare's Catholic

Box Hill North, VIC - St Clare's Catholic

Address: 138 Woodhouse Grove, , Box Hill North Victoria, 3129

Founding of St Clare's North Box Hill was in 1957.

Read More

Box Hill North, VIC - Wesleyan Methodist (Former)

Box Hill North, VIC - Wesleyan Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1856

Address: 147 Woodhouse Grove, , Box Hill North Victoria, 3129

A small rectangular colonial Georgian chapel of local Koonung Creek stone dating from 1856 and displaying a very early use of cream brick in the quoins and voussoirs. The porch, and possibly the parapet, appear to be of later date. The building is significant locally for its association with many of Box Hill's early settlers and the…

Read More

Box Hill South, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Catholic

Box Hill South, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Catholic

Address: 299 Elgar Road, , Box Hill South Victoria, 3128

In 1952, the property at the corner of Bentley and Erasmus Streets was purchased by Fr Timothy Fitzpatrick, Parish Priest of Our Holy Redeemer Parish, Surrey Hills. This property consisted of a large two storey house, a coach house and stable, and an acre and a half of land. In 1954, the coach house and stable were converted into the…

Read More

Box Hill South, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Box Hill South, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1970

Address: 10 Surrey Street, , Box Hill South Victoria, 3128

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend R.W. Dann on 24 May 1970. The Architect was John Roseenthal and the Vicar was C.N. Thomas.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - Baptist

Box Hill, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1926

Address: Corner Ellingworth & Station Street, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The Church was established in 1901. The Foundation stone was laid by R.A. Sutton Esq J.P. on 14 February 1926.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Box Hill, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1971

Address: Hopetoun Parade Road, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The Foundation stone was laid on 10 October 1971.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Box Hill, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1867

Address: Corner Whitehorse Road & Bruce Street, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The first Presbyterian Church Service was held on 6 February 1867 by the Rev W Rolland. By 1887 a Theological student by the name of Alex Walker was engaged to run services at both Box Hill and Surrey Hills. The original site for the first church was Court Street and a wooden building was opened in July 1889. A larger weatherboard…

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Box Hill, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1926

Address: Corner Dorking & Whitehorse Roads, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The Foundation stone was laid by the most Reverend D Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne on 11 July 1926.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Box Hill, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: Whitehorse Road, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The first church was erected in 1861 at the corner of Canterbury Road and Bedford Street at a cost of 300.00. By 1883 a new church was erected on the corner of Whitehorse Road and Frankcom Street on land donated by Mr Stewart Sergeant. The foundation stone was laid on 15 May 1883.* The church was to be in the Gothic style constructed…

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - Wesley Uniting

Box Hill, VIC - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Corner Oxford & Station Streets, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The first Wesleyan Methodist service was held in the Box Hill centre in the Barkly Hall, on 13th May 1883. Tenders were called for what is now known as Oxford Hall (formerly known as the The Methodist Church in Station Street and later The Station Street Church ) on 17th November 1885, and the foundation stone was laid on 11th February…

Read More

Boyne Island, QLD - St Mark's Anglican

Boyne Island, QLD - St Mark's Anglican

Address: 62 Malpas Street, , Boyne Island Queensland, 4680

Read More

Bracken Ridge, QLD - Baptist

Bracken Ridge, QLD - Baptist

Address: 47 Norris Road, , Bracken Ridge Queensland, 4017

The church resolved to build the church hall using voluntary labour where possible. A Foundation Ceremony was held on 2 March 1986. The first services in the new building were held on Christmas Day 1986 with the official opening on Saturday 14 February 1987. The 18 month ministry of Neville Abrahams was followed by three months' ministry…

Read More

Bracken Ridge, QLD - Holy Spirit Anglican

Bracken Ridge, QLD - Holy Spirit Anglican

Year Built: 1988

Address: 103 Denham Street, , Bracken Ridge Queensland, 4017

The Church was dedicated on 7 May 1988 by the Archbishop of Brisbane Reverend John Basil Rowland Grindrod KBE.

Read More

Bracken Ridge, QLD Uniting

Bracken Ridge, QLD Uniting

Address: Pellinore Road, , Bracken Ridge Queensland, 4017

Read More

Braddon, ACT - St Columba's Uniting

Braddon, ACT - St Columba's Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner Fawkner & Farrer Streets, , Braddon Australian Capital Territory, 2612

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 April 1961 by Reverend Harold G. Durbin.

Read More

Brahma Lodge, SA - Baptist

Brahma Lodge, SA - Baptist

Address: Corner Park Terrace & Cheam Street, , Brahma Lodge South Australia, 5109

Read More

Brandon, QLD - St Patrick's (former)

Brandon, QLD - St Patrick's (former)

Address: Spiller Street, , Brandon Queensland, 4808

The former St Patrick's Catholic Church, Brandon, is a timber church originally constructed in 1910 when Brandon was part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockhampton. It ceased to be used by the Church in 1974 and following severe cyclone damage in 1989. The building lost much of its roof cladding and was moved from its foundations…

Read More

Branxton, NSW - St John's Anglican

Branxton, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: 45 Cessnock Road, , Branxton New South Wales, 2335

Read More

Braybrook, VIC - Christ the King Catholic

Braybrook, VIC - Christ the King Catholic

Address: 65 Churchill Avenue, , Braybrook Victoria, 3019

Read More

Breakaway Creek, VIC - St Philips Anglican (Former)

Breakaway Creek, VIC - St Philips Anglican (Former)

Address: 3 Lake Condah Road, , Breakaway Creek Victoria, 3303

Built by Cecil Pybus Cooke of Lake Condah Station in memory of his wife Arabella. A timber church built and opened 24th March 1894. The Church was sold in 2023.

Read More

Bremer Bay, WA - Holy Cross Catholic & Anglican

Bremer Bay, WA - Holy Cross Catholic & Anglican

Address: 11 Mary Street, , Bremer Bay Western Australia, 6338

In 1849 the Western Australian Surveyor General, John Septimus Roe, named the tiny port after Sir James John Gordon Bremer, the captain of the HMS Tamar. Roe had served under Bremer from 1824-1827.

Read More

Brenaraby, QLD - Presbyterian

Brenaraby, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 17 O'Connor Road, , Brenaraby Queensland, 4680

Read More

Bribie Island, QLD - Church of Christ

Bribie Island, QLD - Church of Christ

Address: Corner Foley Street & Fifth Avenue, , Bribie Island Queensland, 4507

Read More

Bribie Island, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Bribie Island, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 10 Banya Street, , Bongaree Queensland, 4507

In April 1927, fifty-nine pounds, five shillings and seven pence was handed to the building committee and on April 21 an announcement was made in the Humpybong Weekly that Bribie residents intended to build a church to be known as St. Peters. By August 1928 with over £200 held by the building committee the Diocesan Council authorised a…

Read More

Bridgeman Downs, QLD - Anglican

Bridgeman Downs, QLD - Anglican

Address: 30 Ridley Road, , Bridgeman Downs Queensland, 4035

Read More

Bridgewater on Loddon, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Bridgewater on Loddon, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 44 Calder Highway, , Bridgewater on Loddon Victoria, 3516

Read More

Bridgewater on Loddon, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Bridgewater on Loddon, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1926

Address: 50 Eldon Street, , Bridgewater on Loddon Victoria, 3516

A Foundation stone read, "A.M.D.G. This stone was laid by the Right Rev John McCarthy DD Bishop of Sandhurst on the 17th Jan 1926 Rev J Duggan Pastor".

Read More

Bridgewater on Loddon, VIC - Uniting

Bridgewater on Loddon, VIC - Uniting

Address: 15 Main Street, , Bridgewater on Loddon Victoria, 3516

It was once an Op Shop before it closed.

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Anglican

Bridgewater, SA - Anglican

Address: Mount Barker Road, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: 15 Wembley Avenue, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

The Foundation stone was laid in 1961. Extensions to the church were made in 2002.

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - St Matthew's Catholic

Bridgewater, SA - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 1 Wembley Avenue, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

The Foundation stone was laid on 27 March 1966 by the most Reverend J.W. Gleeson C.M.G. Co Adjutor Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 407 Mount Barker Road, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

Originally a Methodist Church. The foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1929 by Miss Carvosso.

Read More

Bridgewater, TAS - St Paul's Catholic

Bridgewater, TAS - St Paul's Catholic

Address: Paice Street, , Bridgewater Tasmania, 7030

Read More

Bridgewater, TAS, St Mary's Anglican

Bridgewater, TAS, St Mary's Anglican

Address: 19 Old Main Road, , Bridgewater Tasmania, 7140

Read More

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: 99 Main Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

A wooden church with an iron roof. It was built in 1931 and the chancel and first bay of the nave were dedicated the same year. The church was designed and built by local contractors and was dedicated by Bishop Hay on Sunday 19 July 1931. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. In Fid D.N.I.C. Apidis SVMM Anglvaris X1V KAL IVN A.D.…

Read More

Bridport, TAS - St Mary's Catholic

Bridport, TAS - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 15 Westwood Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

Read More

Bridport, TAS - Uniting

Bridport, TAS - Uniting

Address: 2 Main Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

Read More