Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Anglican


Brookfield, QLD - Good Shepherd Anglican

Brookfield, QLD - Good Shepherd Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 615 Brookfield Road, , Brookfield Queensland, 4069

The Church was build between 1892–1893 in a plain Gothic style. The architect is unknown, however, it is possible that the design may be attributed to the work of John Hingeston Buckeridge, architect for the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane from 1886–1902. The land that was acquired for the building of a church, had been surveyed for sale in…

Read More

Broome, WA - Anglican

Broome, WA - Anglican

Address: Corner Hass & Hamersley Street, , Broome Western Australia, 6725

Read More

Broomehill, WA - St Elizabeth of Hungary Anglican

Broomehill, WA - St Elizabeth of Hungary Anglican

Address: 16 - 2 Janitor Street, , Broomehill Western Australia, 6318

The Foundation stone was laid 18 April 1953. The Church was the former Police Station and Courthouse, a single-storey brick and iron building. It is one of the oldest buildings in Broomehill and contributes to the community’s sense of place. The altar is constructed of bricks from the old 1884 Eticup Church. The Church took it name…

Read More

Brownsville, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Brownsville, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 35 Prince Edward Drive, , Brownsville New South Wales, 2530

St Luke's is one of Hunt's ecclesiastical building; one of his most successful designs and also a high point in development of his ideas on the use of materials. Church consists of nave, tower, vestry and porch with steeply pitched tiled roof. Six stepped buttresses divide nave externally into five bays. A plaque on the wall of the…

Read More

Brunswick West, VIC - St John's Anglican

Brunswick West, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1930

Address: 494 Victoria Street, , Brunswick West Victoria, 3055

A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God This stone was laid by the Most Reverend Frederick Waldegrave Head B.D. Archbishop of Melbourne 1st February 1930".

Read More

Brunswick, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Brunswick, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1857

Address: 6 Glenlyon Road, , Brunswick Victoria, 3056

A stucco rendered brick Church of cruciform plan and detached campanile was erected in four stages between 1857 and 1875. Architects were Purchas and Sawyer who designed the nave in 1857. Smith and Watts completed the transfers, chancel and vestry between 1863 and 1864 and the campanile between 1870 and 1871. Whilst Frederick Wyatt was…

Read More

Bruthen, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Bruthen, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Address: 7 Church Street, , Bruthen Victoria, 3885

The Vicarage was acquired approximately in 1892. The Parish hall was built in 1966. Over 400 people attended the opening.

Read More

Buchan, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Buchan, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Address: Main Road, , Buchan Victoria, 3885

Read More

Buckland, TAS - St John the Baptist Anglican

Buckland, TAS - St John the Baptist Anglican

Address: 1 Duke Street, , Buckland Tasmania, 7190

On 22nd March, 1846, Mr. Cox conducted the first Service in the Buckland Parish, and the only place in which it could be held was the local Police Station. as conducting his Services in a solid little stone Sunday School, and as if this were not enough, the foundation stone had been laid of a Church, which was in later years to be known…

Read More

Bulahdelah, NSW - St John's Anglican

Bulahdelah, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1912

Address: 59 Stroud St, , Bulahdelah New South Wales, 2423

The first place of worship in Bulaheldah was the Church of England School building under the umbrella of the Parish of Stroud. The Church was built in 1912

Read More

Bulla, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Bulla, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1850

Address: Bulla Road, , Bulla Victoria, 3428

The land was donated by Anne Greene of Woodlands Homestead. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Perry on 15 January 1850 but has never been found. A Gothic church of random coursed squared bluestone rubble designed by Thomas M Taylor and opened in 1858. The church was originally situated on the corner of Oaklands and Bulla Roads.…

Read More

Bulleen, VIC - St Timothy's Anglican

Bulleen, VIC - St Timothy's Anglican

Address: 169 Thompson's Road, , Bulleen Victoria, 3105

Before it was known as St. Timothy’s Anglican Church Bulleen, the Bulleen Anglican Centre was situated in an empty grocer’s shop in the Kalay Shopping Centre. The location of services was later moved to the doctor’s surgery adjacent to the original shop. On July 29, 1962, the Vicar announced that the Bishop had approved the name of…

Read More

Bundaberg West, QLD - Good Shepherd Anglican

Bundaberg West, QLD - Good Shepherd Anglican

Year Built: 1974

Address: George Street, , Bundaberg West Queensland, 4670

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was set by Felix Arnott Archbishop 24th February 1974 - Rev Canon M.A. Paxton Hall he Rector - N.H. Brown W Butson Builders".

Read More

Bundaberg, QLD - Christ Church Anglican

Bundaberg, QLD - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1927

Address: 59 Woongarra Street, , Bundaberg Queensland, 4670

The first Anglican Church in Bundaberg was built in Quay Street in 1876. The building was moved to Woongarra Street, near the present site, in 1899. The foundation stone for the church was laid on August 9, 1920 by Bishop Le Fenu. The Church was constructed in 1927 featuring a gothic style with characteristics including pointed arches…

Read More

Bundoora, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Bundoora, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: Corner Grimshaw Street & Alma Road, , Bundoora Victoria, 3083

The first recorded meeting of the parish was held on the 27th of June 1962 and the first service was held in the Bundoora Hall on August 19th 1962. The first church building was a small rectangular building, attached to the parish hall, with a capacity of 60 people. On the 16th of December 1967 the corner stone for the Hall/Chapel…

Read More

Bungaree, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bungaree, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 335 Bungaree Wallace Road, , Bungaree Victoria, 3352

A meeting of locals was held in November of 1865 and the committee decided to purchase land where todays church is located. The first church service was held at Mr Benham's home on 6 January 1867. In April, 1866 it was proposed that the church be of stone, 25 feet by 40 feet with a hardwood floor and shingle roof. The walls to be 18…

Read More

Bungendore, NSW - St Philip's Anglican

Bungendore, NSW - St Philip's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: Gibraltar Street, , Bungendore New South Wales, 2621

The Church was erected in 1864 and is of the Victorian Free Gothic style. The walls are constructed of rock faced ashlar and the jointing is of fine pointing. The steep pitched timber frame gable roof is clad with asbestos shingles. Walls feature high pointed Gothic windows which are complimented by arched sandstone block work to window…

Read More

Bungowannah, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Bungowannah, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Address: Riverina Highwaay, , Bungowannah New South Wales, 2640

Read More

Buninyong, VIC - Anglican

Buninyong, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: 706 Warrenheip Street, , Buninyong Victoria, 3357

The Church was opened in 1862, five years after the first Anglican Services were held in the old Buninyong Police Court. A historical wall plaque reads, " When the Irishman Rev. Garrett Russell arrived at Buninyong in 1857 as the first minister, there was no church or school. The original brick church-school at the rear was ready for…

Read More

Bunnan, NSW - St Jude's Anglican

Bunnan, NSW - St Jude's Anglican

Address: 2 High Street, , Bunnan New South Wales, 2337

Read More

Bunyip, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Bunyip, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1902

Address: 26 A'Beckett Street, , Bunyip Victoria, 3815

The Bunyip Parish of St. Thomas' was originally part of the Gippsland Fort mission in 1879 and early church services were held In Kraft's Hall. By the early 1890': a-proper church was being planned, and fund raising began In December 1891. On 15 October 1902, Mrs W. A. A'Beckett Snr of Brighton laid the foundation block for the new…

Read More

Burleigh Heads, QLD - St John's Anglican

Burleigh Heads, QLD - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 14 Park Avenue, , Burleigh Heads Queensland, 4220

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. And in memory of those who gave their lives to preserve our freedom this stone was set by Reginald Archbishop of Brisbane on 29th July 1961. R.F. Ranwell Rector".

Read More

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 52 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

The first moves for the provision of an Anglican church at Burnie began in the mid-1840s after the visits of the Rev. Grigg from Circular Head and the Rev. Waterfield from the settlement at the Forth River. The Launceston Advertiser of 9 November 1844 under the heading Churches of the Interior reported: At the new but populous settlement…

Read More

Burpengary, QLD - Freshwater Anglican

Burpengary, QLD - Freshwater Anglican

Address: 45 Pitt Road, , Burpengary Queensland, 4505

The Church building seems to be condemded in 2022.

Read More

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: Market Street, , Burra South Australia, 5417

The original church of St Mary’s was located at the junction of Ware and Church Streets in 1849. The land for the present church was donated by the South Australian Mining Association. It was built in the Gothic style and by the local firm of Sara & Dunstan to the design by G.F. McLagan, who came to live in Kooringa from Melbourne. The…

Read More

Burrawang, NSW - St David's Anglican

Burrawang, NSW - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: 44 Church Street, , Burrawang New South Wales, 2577

Read More

Burrawang, NSW Anglican (Former)

Burrawang, NSW Anglican (Former)

Address: 6 Dale Street, , Burrawang New South Wales, 2577

Read More

Burwood East, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Burwood East, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Year Built: 1969

Address: Corner Blackburn Road & Witchwood Street, , Burwood East Victoria, 3151

The Church was dedicated on Ascension day in 1969 by the Archbishop of Melbourne, the Most Reverend Frank Woods.

Read More

Buxton, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Buxton, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Address: Maroondah Highway, , Buxton Victoria, 3711

The Church was consecrarted on 3 May 1895 by the Lord Bishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Byron Bay, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Byron Bay, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Address: 14 Kingsley Street, , Byron Bay New South Wales, 2481

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Greater Glory of God This Foundation stone of the Church of Saint Paul was laid by Rt Rev K.. Clements BA DD Bishop of Grafton on Tuesday May 23rd1961. Canon F.G. Alexander Rector.

Read More

Caboolture, QLD - St Lawrence's Anglican

Caboolture, QLD - St Lawrence's Anglican

Address: 165 King Street, , Caboolture Queensland, 4510

Read More

Cairns, QLD - St John's Anglican

Cairns, QLD - St John's Anglican

Address: Cnr Lake & Minnie Streets, , Cairns Queensland, 4870

Read More

Calwell, ACT - St Mary of the Valley Anglican

Calwell, ACT - St Mary of the Valley Anglican

Address: 17 Webber Crescent, , Calwell Australian Capital Territory, 2905

Read More

Camberwell South, VIC - Anglican

Camberwell South, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1930

Address: Corner Toorak & Park Roads, , Camberwell South Victoria,

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 June 1930 by F.J. Cato Esq.

Read More

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Camberwell South, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Toorak & Bowen Street, , Camberwell South Victoria, 3124

The establishment of a Church in South Camberwell was mooted in July, 1916, when the Vicar of our Mother Church, St. John's, Camberwell, the Rev. A. Roscoe Wilson, suggested to the Archbishop the purchase of land in the district for that purpose. It was recorded that the erection of a Church Hall in this area, to be known as St. Mary's,…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Dunstan's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Dunstan's Anglican

Year Built: 1966

Address: 163 Wattle Valley Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

In 1925 communications between the Reverend Walter Green then of Murrumbeena, and the Vicar elect of East Camberwell resulted in an exploritory visit to Wattle Valley Road which was duly selected as the centre of the new parish. In 1960 plans for completion of Church submitted to Vestry by architect Louis Williams. By 1966 a contract…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 552 Burke Road, , Camberwell Victoria,

The first church opened on 8 February 1863, but Anglican worship in Camberwell began in 1856 in the home of Mr. James Price in what is now Burke Road. Mr. Price, who was later known in family memory as a lay reader at St John's, possibly conducted the first worship himself. The following year, the first church, then known simply as the…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1927

Address: 1 Canterbury Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

A site at the corner of Stanhope Grove and Canterbury Road was contemplated initially. The current site was purchased at auction in 1912. The first service was conducted at 11am on Sunday 27 April 1913 when 29 people attended. At the 7pm service 55 people attended. Rev Brooksbanks conviend a public meeting in Adam's assembly hall…

Read More

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 6 Lee Street, Campania, Campania Tasmania, 7026

The church was consecrated in 1894. It was built and furnished at a cost of £450. Mr and Mrs H.J. Brock donated £300 towards the completion of the church. It was consecrated in November 1894 and was renovated in 1920. The Rt. Rev. H. H. Montgomery, Bishop of Tasmania (father of Field Marshal Montgomery of El Alamein fame) would have…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Campbell Town, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1835

Address: 70 National Highway, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

From a plaque at the front of the church reads, "John Lee Archer the Civil Engineer under Governor Arthur had the plans drawn up for this church and the foundation stone was laid in 1835. It was then discovered that part of the base had been laid down with no foundations and a new contractor was called to complete the building which was…

Read More